Line level input vs. DI

The output from a preamp. That is what a preamp does. Converts a mic level signal to line level.

So the line level input won't amplify the sound passing through it whereas a mic level and DI input would?

The clouds in my brain may be finally breaking up.

So the line level input won't amplify the sound passing through it whereas a mic level and DI input would?

The clouds in my brain may be finally breaking up.

In most preamps, I believe not. I could be wrong on that though. However, even if passing thru the circuitry, there will be very little gain (if any) so there still would be very little "color". Now, the signal will pass thru the output transformer, which can supply a bit of color when pushed, but that will tend to overload your A/D, so you really need one with an output attenuator, or do this during the compression stage (you can do it w/o applying any compression).

Now, just an opinion on your idea. I personnaly see no benefit to passing midi tracks through two more sets of conversion, and through a preamp again. IMHO, it will not gain anything, but will simple degrade the signal. How would a preamp "add" anything? Now, if you were to run that signal through a compressor, you could bring out some of the nuances in the original track. Also, as stated above, you can saturate the output transformer, which is a sound I like very much. A lot of people confuse "tube"-ness with transformer saturation.

In most preamps, I believe not. I could be wrong on that though. However, even if passing thru the circuitry, there will be very little gain (if any) so there still would be very little "color". Now, the signal will pass thru the output transformer, which can supply a bit of color when pushed, but that will tend to overload your A/D, so you really need one with an output attenuator, or do this during the compression stage (you can do it w/o applying any compression).

Hmm...since I can't figure out any possible use I'd have for a line level input, maybe I'll never need one.

That might be the smartest thing I've said in this thread.

Hmm...since I can't figure out any possible use I'd have for a line level input, maybe I'll never need one.

That might be the smartest thing I've said in this thread.

If you can patch directly into your converters, I see no need for one myself. I use the DI for bass. Keyboards are the only thing I can even think of that would output a line level - or an MPC (which is more or less a keyboard anyway)

One last thing, how did you wire your studio? There are two "standards" for line level FYI......

But would passing the keyboards through the line level inputs of a mic pre do anything for the sound?

Did you read my post above??????? IMHO no. I don't see how it could possibly "add" anything. If it wasn't recorded in the keyboard sample, it won't be "added" by passing through an output transformer. I myself, run them straight to the converter in the shortest possible route.

Another tip - the act of "balancing" a signal is degrading to a signal.

Did you read my post above??????? IMHO no. I don't see how it could possibly "add" anything. If it wasn't recorded in the keyboard sample, it won't be "added" by passing through an output transformer. I myself, run them straight to the converter in the shortest possible route.

Another tip - the act of "balancing" a signal is degrading to a signal.

I read it. I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

So right now my thinking is that since this isn't something I've needed up until this point, it's not something I'm going to likely need anytime soon.

Please say 'yes' so I can get out of this with what little dignity I have remaining.

I read it. I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

So right now my thinking is that since this isn't something I've needed up until this point, it's not something I'm going to likely need anytime soon.

Please say 'yes' so I can get out of this with what little dignity I have remaining.

Yes!

IMHO there isn't a reason I can think of to have a line level input on a preamp. However, I did just think of something. It's not a channel strip, right? That would def need a line level input....

Here is your answer from your link -

Q: Why would I want line input instead of an instrument level DI?
A: Many engineers like to run signals through iron core transfomers to add harmonics to the signal (alternately known as 'warmth'). You can run individual tracks through the line level input, or run full stereo mixes or subgroups through them to take advantage of the OSA iron core output transfomer.

That is basically what I said, only I believe more harm than good would be accomplished, especially since you can't hit the output transformer that hard w/o clipping your A/D. I would accomplish this with a compressor myself, but that is just my opinion. Is it worth two converter pass degradations, and another "balancing" degradation to maybe pick up some subtle harmonics? That's up to you.

Like I said, I do like the sound of a saturated transformer. :D

Yes!

IMHO there isn't a reason I can think of to have a line level input on a preamp. However, I did just think of something. It's not a channel strip, right? That would def need a line level input....

No. It's the Old School Audio 500 pres. Focusrite makes it an option on some of their stuff (LiquidChannel, Twintrak) but those fall into the 'channel strip' category. And while I own both of those units, I've never used the line input and the manuals don't tell me why I'd use them or on what.

The OAS pres are a little cheaper with the line level as opposed to the DI input so I was trying to figure out if it made sense to pay the extra $50 for the DI if I were to purchase one.

I don't need it. It feels good to say it even though it means shelling out an extra $50.
Thanks for the help.

Focusrite makes it an option on some of their stuff (LiquidChannel, Twintrak) but those fall into the 'channel strip' category. And while I own both of those units, I've never used the line input and the manuals don't tell me why I'd use them or on what.

Hey, I really mean this in the best possible way, but after this thread, and the compressor thread, and now the above statement, I just gotta say again - Go get a basic audio engineering book. Owisinki makes a good one, Huber, even homerecording for dummies.

The whole point of a channel strip (well, not the whole point, but a big part of it) is to be able to use it for mixing. It's a channel strip - In other words, it's a single channel from a MIXING console. Sure, you can use all the parts of the channel when recording, but you really should be using it during mixing! :D

Hey, I really mean this in the best possible way, but after this thread, and the compressor thread, and now the above statement, I just gotta say again - Go get a basic audio engineering book. Owisinki makes a good one, Huber, even homerecording for dummies.

The whole point of a channel strip (well, not the whole point, but a big part of it) is to be able to use it for mixing. It's a channel strip - In other words, it's a single channel from a MIXING console. Sure, you can use all the parts of the channel when recording, but you really should be using it during mixing! :D

Okay, I'm always willing to learn so I'm going to take your advice on the Owsinski book. Amazon will have it on my doorstep tomorrow. It'd better have a good plot.

Okay, I'm always willing to learn so I'm going to take your advice on the Owsinski book. Amazon will have it on my doorstep tomorrow. It'd better have a good plot.

It's a good book. It's worth the price just for the delay time tables in the back. :)

It's a good book. It's worth the price just for the delay time tables in the back. :)

Okay, okay, I believe you. But after I finish reading it, you're never allowed to again say to me "Go get a basic audio engineering book."

I paid an extra few bucks for overnight delivery so I can read it over the weekend. I can't do anything in my studio because my interface is at BLA getting some mod work done.

So give me a hint at how the book ends... who does it? the butler? the chambermaid? the jealous mistress?

Back