Lexicon MX200 - anyone used this?

Lex MX200

I too came here seeking experience with the unit. I ordered it yesterday from Sweetwater(I love those guys)....I had no idea till now it was a new product, so I am really looking forward to receiving it next week.

I blame Sweetwater for my selection...I told my salesman I needed an affordable dual channel FX only, no comp...Told them I wanted quality and simplicity for live applications...They suggested the MX200 as first choice.

Personally, I'm glad that Lex representives participate in this forum. It shows me they are linked to the public and truely interested in our opinions. Please stick around, as I am certain to have questions.

Well it is a stand alone unit first. There is nothing that can be done with the software that cant be done with front panel controls or with midi

I don't know about the online Lexicon guys, but Trevor of their Tech Support was very helpful. I had trouble getting the software to work even with SP2. Lexicon ended up taking my system configuration and customizing the main software DLL file until it worked. No problems now. Top notch support!! I also like the sound quality of the MX200. It's a great value in my opinion.

Regards,
Mountaineer

Novice Questions

I read pretty much all 6 pages of posts, and have learned a lot, but I'm extremely new at this, so my questions will probably seem pretty basic to most. (The questions about about MX200)

First Question: I have heard a lot of good things about the reverb and sound quality in general, but the delay and especially compression effects are equally or more important to me. What has the general experience been with these? I've heard a little about the compression quality of the tampa as well. How do they compare?

Second Question: I would be using this for live performance, and secondly for recording. I would like to use reerb, delay, and compression simultaneously, but as far as I can tell I would only be able to use 2 of these at once with the MX200. Should I get separate hardware for one of the effects, or is there another processor that will do this for with good quality. (I'm okay with spending a couple hundred more for what I want, as long as it's not way way more)

First posters Opinion ...

This is my first post here. I purchased the Lexicon MX200 to connect to the effects send return of our mixer for live vocals. Prior to purchasing this unit, our band was running dry vocals, so understandably, there would be a tremendous impact no matter what I hooked up.

After trying a few presets, I would up on Reverb + compression (I think # 26). The difference in the sound of the band was staggering. The singer commented that he no longer had to yell, he could sing! It changed how our band sounded. We sounded “professional”. It was only one rehearsal, but I equate this to playing a great guitar, you just want to play more and seem to play better because of the instruments response.

I don’t speak from much experience in rack mount effects, but at 200.00 dollars, but in my opinion this unit is a low risk purchase at least for live applications. Sometime down the road, I’ll hook it up to my Pro-tools set up, but for the moment I’m having way too much fun playing in a band!

Love it

I used on sampled drums and they finally sounds in a real room. No problem on installation (just some latency changing preset on cubase).

On "heavy distorted atomic" metal guitar it adds good ambience. The difference from this gear and the software plugins for me is huge!!! Finally i can hear a credible ambience surrounding instruments.

I want to know if i can use 2 mx200 on cubase because i need 2 Stereo inputs, if yes i buy another unit....

I found it used at 150 Euros and love it.

I bought one of these to use as an 'External FX' in Nuendo 3. So far I've only been able to get it to work with the SPDIF out and analog ins on my M-Audio FW410 and Audiophile 2496. (See this post in the Cubase forum:http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=195150)

I think the unit sounds really good, especially considering the price, but I'd love to be able to use it fully in digital with my rig. If anyone has any experience using this thing in a digital effects loop with M-Audio hardware please let me know how you did it.

Thanks,

I'm more of a live sound guy than a recordist, but I'm always on the lookout for good inexpensive effects gear -- obviously including compression.

I second someone's ealier question about how the compressors sound on this unit -- I'll need them more than most, as my target application is going to be (run and hide) karaoke.

Alas, I do see one probable failing in the way my Mackie will let me connect the unit: my effects sends on mic channels are, as with most, mono.

Since the unit will apparently do stereo output from mono input, but compression *must* be series, I'm going to have to be really creative to figure out a way to use stereo reverbs and compression at the same time.

I do want to say, though, at the risk (as a newbie) of pissing off the (I would call them oversensitive) old hands who think that having manufacturer reps in a forum like this is A Bad Thing... that I don't think so at all.

I wish all manufacturers did this sort of thing; it would vastly reduce their technical support expense, while simultaneously making things *easier* for owners and potential purchasers -- even if, like Mackie, they ran the fora themselves.

Being able to talk to the guy who designed the box and picked the patches? Unbelievable.

I'll be ordering mine tomorrow... and thanks also to those recordists who've received theirs, and made cogent comments on the quality thereof.

I use one of these on my music scores im doing for an online video game that is in developement . The Delay and reverb are first class for a piece of equipment in this price bracket. The ability to use it as a plugin and control it from software is even more reason to buy it.

When using my v-synth I quite often disable the V's on board effects and use the MX200 instead as I think the end result is precise and a little less muddy on the MX. ;)

I've had one of these for a couple of months. It's pretty cool...and pretty nice reverb. I do like the USB and plug in functions. It's nice to have another outboard piece of gear, that ALSO works as a plug in...wish more companies would do that.
I haven't used it alot yet, as I've been a bit of on 'downtime' since I got it...but for the money, I think it's a GREAT deal!

I really like mine. One tip is to make sure that the USB is plugged into your comuputer, not hub, I was getting all sorts of noise when plugged into a hub.

As far as the pluggin remote, its handy and everything, but I have been doing that with my midi hardware pluggins via CC controllers for years so its not really any revelation. Also the fact that you need both the USB and midi connected to it to use the editor and midi clock could be improved.

But great unit none-the-less

dio rulez

Interesting note...
I found that my computer would hang at shutdown, id the MX200 was plugged into my Belkin powered 4 port USB hub....

Plugging it directly into the computer solved the problem.

I noticed no noise when plugged into the hub thoug....

Just bought one of these processors used. I was thinking about going with the mpx200 and still don't know the difference other than the usb connector, but bought it used for $150 so, I'm happy. It is mainly going to be used for my sax playing live at church and on gigs... maybe some recording later on down the road, hope it does the trick for me.

Oh. Crap.

[ Actually reads manual ]

Two effects total. Per box.

That's not real clear.

So to get compression *and* reverb, I have to tie the whole box up on one channel.

Drat.

Disappointed now.

i ended up in this thread by searching for other users experiences with the mx200. i became more interested in the thread when i saw that some lexicon people were touting the product here, and registered to share my experience with the rest of you. i think it's great that folks from lexicon have decided to chime in, but they have an obvious agenda (no offense guys!) and i'd like to offer my honest opinion...

first off, it's a $200 unit, so i'm not expecting anything mind blowing here. i bought the mx200 over the tc m300 because of the vst capabilities (i decided before tc released the m350 which has usb/vst just like the mx200). i have not used this feature yet, and have only used it as a standalone processor.

the unit is clean and not noisey. very transparent and bright sounding. i like that. the reverbs are nice, from short and sweet to huge and dense. the delays are decent, but very "vanilla". i don't use the modulation type effects usually, except for the chorus which is decent as well. all in all, it's solid for basic reverb and delay.

i've been having an issue with midi clocking however. i work in a 100% synthesizer studio, everything driven with cakewalk sonar, everything clocked to be in perfect sync. while the mx-200 does sync up for delays, something isn't right with the way it clocks. it's always catching up and introducing clicks into the delay (similar to what happens if you adjust the delay time while it's clocked). it will play fine for a bit then the delay will get all clicky as it truncates the sample to bring it back in time (i assume this is the same clock problem that causes the tapped tempo to drift). this makes the delay almost useless, and i will not record it this way. i have contacted lexicon support about this twice (via email) and haven't heard back from them at all.

the other sub-par effect on the mx200 is the pitch shifter. it works reasonably well on sustained sounds, but if you try running drums through it (as i like to fatten up the sound a bit) or any short transient sound even, the algorithm chokes and gives you a clicky, slapback mess (what's with that nasty latency???) it's completely useless on drums, downright terrible even.

the only other complaint i have about the unit thus far is the data values for things like delay time. you have to refer to a table to select delay timing when sync'd to midi, where 13 = 1/8th notes etc etc. really lame. no one wants to consult a conversion table every time they want to sync a delay. i'd be willing to convert milliseconds to note/bpm values too but alas, the mx200 is completely tap based.

overall, i'd be satisfied with the purchase if it weren't for the clicking on the delays. i probably won't get rid of it any time soon, but i think i'll try the tc m350 soon and if it's better i'll say byebye to the m200 without hesitation.

Back