John Hardy Pres

dmc777

What's up guys. I'm going to be recording a folk/americana session with a friend of mine for his new album. He's plays and sings at the same time which makes my job even harder. On the good side though I get to use the school John Hardy M1 with 4 pres! Unfortunately though my maudio fw1814 on has 2 xlr inputs while the Hardy only has 4 xlr outputs so I can only use 2 channels at once. My mics will consist of AT4050, RodeK2, RodeNt5 matched stereo pair, ADK Hamburg, Matched pair of Schoeps. Also gonna be mixing in a di of the guitar. I was wondering a. what is your take on the Hardy for this application and it's sound, warm or transparent, and b. is there any way I could use the additional pres with the 1814? Also how would you approach this session? Thanks alot for the help.

Guitars will be Martin D15 with no pickup, Gibson Lc or Cl 20 with pickup, and a Yamaha with pickup but don't know the exact model.

oh yeah, does anyone have a link of the pres listed according to their sound. For example, Grace transparent, RNP slightly colored. thanks again

Just get some XLR to TS cables and connect the M1 outputs to the line inputs on the 1814, that's what they're there for - they are unbalanced though, but hopefully that won't be a problem; you'll probably just loose 6db level, AFAIK.

As concerns the gear, I'll let someone with more experience chime in, although an AT4050 and a Schoeps SDC into a M1 doesn't sound like the worst signal chain I could Imagine.

Best regards.

Last edited:
There are probably lots of ways to mic this, but consider this one: Use the ADK for the vocal, then put the 4050 in figure-8 mode and use it for the guitar. Position it so that the null of the pattern is facing the vocalist. This should keep nearly all of the vocal out of the instrument track, avoiding the phase problems that might otherwise result. This approach requires a good room, though, since the figure-8 will be picking up from the room as well as from the guitar. But when you want to record someone who is singing and playing guitar at the same time, the figure-8 pattern can be your friend because it has such a complete null.

keep it simple....throw the 4050 on the guitar in fig 8 mode with the nulls pointing at the singers mouth...and throw the k2 on the voice....

hardy is a great pre..no question.

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah Scrubs that's one of the charts. I was thinking there was a warm section or something though. The Hardy pres sound VERY warm to my ears. Wow! If I ever make a purchase for some expensive pres it will probably be these.

The Hardy pres sound VERY warm to my ears. Wow! If I ever make a purchase for some expensive pres it will probably be these.

Good choice. The John Hardy preamps are amongst the best. Not only does he make amazing sounding preamplifiers the guy is a top class gentleman.

Rodger Hartlett said:
Good choice. The John Hardy preamps are amongst the best. Not only does he make amazing sounding preamplifiers the guy is a top class gentleman.

Here Here! I second that...If you can't make it with a Hardy...you probably can't make it...

Ray

Back