I need a mic pre

joeleemusic

I've been using a Presonus Eureka and always felt it was OK. Not great BUT..... It died and now I need to replace it. I don't want to spend/can't justify spending a ton of money. What is a good bang for the buck mic pre? I looked at the Grace M101. Is that a good one?

I looked at the Grace M101. Is that a good one?
One of the best mic preamps in that price range (or maybe twice that price range). True's P-Solo is in there also, FMR's RNP can't be ignored either (dual-channel unit).

But if you can get away with one channel, you're going to hear an entirely different universe of detail over the Eureka going with the m101... It's not even a fair fight.

as far as budget goes I realize that I'm going to have to spend in the neighborhood of $500 or so to get something decent.

I've been using a Presonus Eureka and always felt it was OK. Not great BUT..... It died and now I need to replace it. I don't want to spend/can't justify spending a ton of money. What is a good bang for the buck mic pre? I looked at the Grace M101. Is that a good one?
I have 2 ISA Ones and I believe that they are great especially for the price although I see they are now $499 "Street" up from $399.

FYI- There are 2 ISA Ones on eBay right now under $400.

Here is a neat video based on ISA and Vocal: Focusrite ISA One - Bill Roberts Brady talks about his Focusrite ISA One Digital - YouTube

Here is a video where second half is an Acoustic Guitar into a Neuman TLM 103 through an ISA One: Mic Preamp Shoot-Out!!! Universal Audio 710 vs Focusrite ISA One (Acoustic) - YouTube

I owned the Eureka (which was modded) and found it to be a very acceptable preamp and would be happy to use one. Saying that I'm really liking the Audient Mico. It's a really nice clean and detailed preamp that has some excellent features including high quality D/A converters and HMX for adding a little thickening to the sound. The ISA One is also a very good preamp but sounds a little thicker than the Mico by default. I'd heard good things about both the Grace M101 and True Systems P-Solo but haven't tried them. One other pre that I really like the sound of is the WARM AUDIO WA12. This has a really nice thick sound to it which could work really well with the AT4040. There is also now a WARM TB12 which is capable of a wider variety of tones.

From this list I would either go with the Mico which is capable of really clean and detailed or can go pretty coloured closer to the WA12. The WARM TB12 would be my other pick.

Back