how to wire up my stuff ?

axeman_ukl

which is the best way to wire up my tl audio eq (5013) ?

at the moment i have a muto 24 sound card running to my 32 channel mixer and i record from the bus back to the audio card.

is it better to attach the eq on the i/o on one of the channels and allways use that channel for eq , or is it better to use aux send and return ?

thanks

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest some flexibility. Have you thought about adding a patch panel? Put the effects, I/O's and BUSS' in the patch panel then you can move it around as needed.

That's what I've got going on here. Everything with a gazinta and a goezoutta passes through the patch panels.

cheers , i had not considered that i'll have to think about a patch bay are there any you could recomend ?

do the i/o skip the 3 band on the mixing desk ?
soundcard -> mixing gain -> out -> in -> slider

or does something else happen , i dont know this is my first effect unit.

thanks

axeman_ukl said:
cheers , i had not considered that i'll have to think about a patch bay are there any you could recomend ?

Neutrik make one that is cheap and reliable :)

do the i/o skip the 3 band on the mixing desk ?
soundcard -> mixing gain -> out -> in -> slider

or does something else happen , i dont know this is my first effect unit.

thanks

Usually the inserts are pre-everything but gain. However check the mixer manual to be sure. Sometimes they are switchable, either externally or internally.

Definitely a patchbay, as that gives you freedom to use the eq as you wish. But an eq is considered a serial effect, meaning that it is appropriate for inserts and busses, but not aux sends. So in other words, you send the whole signal through an eq, whereas with aux sends you are only sending a portion of the signal.

Back