Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How tweakable is the Virtualizer?

Atwork is offline Dedicated Member

How tweakable is the Virtualizer?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Can the reverbs etc. on the Virtualizer actually be edited like on a Midiverb or are they just alterable like on a MPX100 or Nanoverb?

Also what's the quality of the Reverbs, Delays and Chorus's like, especially when used with vocals and keyboards?

Thanks.

PS. Input from anyone who's used a Midiverb 4 and a Virtualizer and can compare especially welcome.

Blue Bear Sound is offline Don't feed the bear......
    It is useful for delays, maybe choruses, but the reverbs are pretty much crap........

And the adjustment flexibility is not too precise -- alows only 5 mS incremental changes to delay times.... not to mention that the entire interface is COMPLETELY ridiculous to use.... every patch has different parameters and the parameters are controlled by different buttons on the front...........

I set it up for some specific delays times and presets and never touch other than that....

It really isn't worth the effort, I only use it at all 'cos it's in the rack..........

I don't recommend it at all from either a usability or sound quality standpoint.

Bruce

Atwork is offline Dedicated Member
    No beating about the bush there. Which is what I wanted. Thanks.

MaximumDB is offline Newbie
    I also own a Behringer Virtualizer...I agree, the front panel settings are a real pain...if you really want to control and tweak the settings do it via the MIDI interface using a PC. This thing is fantastic! Lush reverbs...cool harmonizer...and a lot more good FX. BTW...the reverbs sound very good...clear and natural.

Once you have edited your FX via the MIDI you can store them into the Virtualizer's memory and recall them later using the jog wheel...the PC isn't needed. This is a very nice feature.

I have used the Virtualizer on many recordings...low noise, nice array of different FX. The latest Virtualizer is 24bit...for $129.

Get it...you won't be sorry!

MaxDB

I'm sorry, a matter of opinion I suppose, but the reverbs are hideous - metallic and harsh...

If you need reverb, the Virtualizer is NOT the way to go.... as I said, the delays, chorus and vocoder are usable, but not much else.........

Bruce

MaximumDB is offline Newbie
    I guess it is a matter of opinion...but I have heard "natural" reverb in real settings... I'd say it's much closer to real then "hideous - metallic and harsh... " Maybe you got a lemon unit Blue Bear, cause mine sounds very natural! As with any FX unit...extreme settings can yield some bad, un-natural sounding results.

BTW...what DO you use for your reverbs Blue Bear?

As far as editing like a MidiVerb the Virtualizer features full MIDI capability which allows real-time parameter control and program selection. The MidiVerb has 128 user storage areas where as the Virtualizer only has 100.

MaxDB

dr.colossus is offline Force of Nature
    hey bruce, or anyone else for that matter? could you suggest another reverb unit around the same price range? i was also thinking about the virtualizer, but i think tweekability(?) is a big issue

sorry to butt in atwork, but i think this might be useful info for us all

Leeking is offline TrueVine Studio
    Originally posted by dr.colossus
    hey bruce, or anyone else for that matter? could you suggest another reverb unit around the same price range? i was also thinking about the virtualizer, but i think tweekability(?) is a big issue
    For that price range and tweekability, how about the ZOOM RFX-2000?

Originally posted by MaximumDB
    Maybe you got a lemon unit Blue Bear, cause mine sounds very natural! As with any FX unit...extreme settings can yield some bad, un-natural sounding results.
    No it's not a lemon... it's the way it sounds! I've been at this for a while, so I think I know the difference between good reverb and not-so-good reverb!!!

I'm sorry -- I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the Vitualizer is NOT an example of good-sounding reverb... those verbs are harsh - plain and simple....

Originally posted by MaximumDB
    BTW...what DO you use for your reverbs Blue Bear?
    I use a Lexicon LXP-15, a pair of Lexi MPX500s, an Intellifex LTD, and pair of Yamaha SPX-90s.

Somewhere in the bottom of the rack is a cheap-ass ART FXR (from the late 80s) that has the most metallic reverb I've ever heard -- the Behringer is only a slight step up from that - which is why it's been relegated to delay and vocoder use.

Originally posted by dr.colossus
    hey bruce, or anyone else for that matter? could you suggest another reverb unit around the same price range?
    I would suggest searching for a used Lexicon LXP-1 or LXP-5 -- those were very nice sounding 1/2-rack Lexicon units. Second-hand they probably come in only slightly above the Virtualizer's price point.

Bruce

Vurt is offline Registered User
    Just so you don't think Bruce is some crazed and deaf degenerate, I second everything he has said about the Virtualizer. I'm not a Behringer basher, and I'm not into jumping on boats, but I've had the Virt, and it's junk. If you get it, you'll find ways to put it to use, which is fine, but eventually you'll hear a descent rever unit and realize yours is not one. You will then commit some petty crime to fund a Lexicon or Yamaha reverb unit, and find yourself rotting in a backwater jail cell, staring at the word "shit" etched into the wall. Hold off on the Virtualizer. That's $130 you could put toward something that will sound much better, and keep you out of jail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information