How do I fix this? SMPro Audio PR8

dejacky

I accidently stepped on one of the knobs and it broke off. I have the knob, but what is a cheap and reliable way to fix this? Any advice directly related to solving this problem will be much appreciated. Thanks!

PR8.txt

-dejacky

The correct (and only) way is to re[lace the complete potentiometer. If you have a look on the inside, it may have it's rating stamped into it's housing..........contact RS or an electronics store for a replacement.

Or else take it to a tech for repairs.

:cool:

Alright then...guess it's time to open her up with pictures any1? btw, what's a good Free picture hosting website that will allow me to post the .jpg images in this thread instead of just a link?

-dejacky

If the Pot is not labeled use a DMM or an ohm-meter and Measure the resistance from the 2 outside Lugs of the Pot and it will give you the Resistance of the type of pot you need, Finding out the type of taper is a Little bit harder but it is probably a Linear or Log as opposed to something exotic like a reverce log....

The pot will probably be attached directly to the PCB so you will probably have to desolder the pot before installing the new one.... it is not a very difficult job if you have a little bit of electronics knowlege but if you are a bit warry about working on your own equipment maybe it would be best to take it to a Friend who does know a bit about electrinics and have him/her help you.....

Cheers

Good luck!!!

So its not just the knob that broke off, its the entire poll that comes out of the pot, eh?

Either send it to SMPro for repairs, or if you are good with a soldering gun, do as someone above mentioned.

You don't need a photo hosting site to put pics on this site - if you look below where you enter a message, there are attachments, and if you compress the pics you take down to 64k, you can post them as attachments.

dammit!

Worst thread ever :mad:

Wonder if this guy every fixed his 8-channel, hundred-dollar preamp.

Let's just change gears then - I have the Nady clone of this thing - the PRA-8, and ya know, considering the preamps are about... 100/8... 12 bucks a piece, they actually aren't half bad. They don't offer 70 dB of gain - in fact they only offer about 45-50 (but with decent mics its clean gain all the way around), but they blew away the preamps on my Yamaha MG32, which cost 1100 bucks, and that thing didn't have enough other features to be worth that much money considering the pre's on it were noisy as all get out.

Just my opinion, and of course, any standalone pre over a hundred bucks is gonna beat em (My DMP-3 blows these outta the water, but not by much aside from the fact that it gives another 25 dB of clean gain :p). Just my two cents in a thread that is no longer of any use to anyone :D

I just want to know how in the hell someone steps on their mic preamp and breaks a knob off. I mean seriously, who's keeping their preamps on the floor?

Back