Hooking up equalizer...having troubles..need help

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
So I have an equalizer and I'm new to recording. I have a firewire mixer that I'm using..an alesis multimix 16. But yeah, I'm using cubase le also as a program if you need to know that. I have this DOD equalizer that does wonders for the sound of the drums when I hook it up to the mixer. But when I record onto the comp, the effects the equalizer has on the sound isn't recored. What am I doing wrong? I plug a cable into the "aux sends' or something like that from the mixer to the input of both channels of the equalizer (right and left) Then plug the outputs of the equalizer into the aux ins or something like that on the mixer and it works when listening to the drums as they are being played through the mixer but as I said before, the recording isn't really effected by the EQ. Thanks so much for the help.

-Elliot

studiomaster said:
Did you raise the level of the Aux return for the mixer channel?
I believe I've tried that, but I'll make sure tomorrow when I have the chance. Could it be anything else? or are you fairly confident?

-Elliot

elenore19 said:
So I have an equalizer and I'm new to recording. I have a firewire mixer that I'm using..an alesis multimix 16. But yeah, I'm using cubase le also as a program if you need to know that. I have this DOD equalizer that does wonders for the sound of the drums when I hook it up to the mixer. But when I record onto the comp, the effects the equalizer has on the sound isn't recored. What am I doing wrong? I plug a cable into the "aux sends' or something like that from the mixer to the input of both channels of the equalizer (right and left) Then plug the outputs of the equalizer into the aux ins or something like that on the mixer and it works when listening to the drums as they are being played through the mixer but as I said before, the recording isn't really effected by the EQ. Thanks so much for the help.

-Elliot

if the implementation of the alesis is anything like the implementation of my mackie onyx firewire mixer, then the recording firewire output (to the computer) comes before the eq and inserts (if there are any inserts), which is kind of mind boggling. the literature explains that this is to make the mixer more versatile for live situations in case you don't want to track with eq or inserts. you can get around this on the mackie by sending the inserts out of the channels w/ them, then into the processor, and then into other recording channels. on your alesis, you might be able to run the aux sends into the eq, and then back into two channels (for stereo) on your mixer and record those as the "wet" channel to balance the dry.
you can always add eq "in the box" in cubase, which might be better so that you're not stuck with eq set in the tracking stage. it might also be less noisey

kojdogg said:
if the implementation of the alesis is anything like the implementation of my mackie onyx firewire mixer, then the recording firewire output (to the computer) comes before the eq and inserts (if there are any inserts), which is kind of mind boggling. the literature explains that this is to make the mixer more versatile for live situations in case you don't want to track with eq or inserts. you can get around this on the mackie by sending the inserts out of the channels w/ them, then into the processor, and then into other recording channels. on your alesis, you might be able to run the aux sends into the eq, and then back into two channels (for stereo) on your mixer and record those as the "wet" channel to balance the dry.
you can always add eq "in the box" in cubase, which might be better so that you're not stuck with eq set in the tracking stage. it might also be less noisey
Hmm..I think I understand. Like plug the EQ into the aux sends and such then plug the EQ outputs into two seperate channels and record those two channels then? I believe I tried this, but I'm not sure. I'll definitely try the EQ on cubase. Thanks for the help

-Elliot

Back