Haggling at Guitar Center

reshp1

I've seen many people claim they've talked GC salespeople down to ridiculously low prices. How do you go about doing this? What's your technique/angle?

I'm usually very nice and just ask them "what can you do on this price?". If they don't look at the computer and say "I really can't do anything", then they're probably lying (but not always). But if they do look at the computer, then they are checking their margins/cost. This will usually produce a good result.

But the best is being armed with information. They will usually match any other price out there.

One time, I told them that I didn't have enough to spend for the item I wanted...they then made a deal.

There are so many ways...just have fun with it without being a prick.

David Katauskas said:
I'm usually very nice and just ask them "what can you do on this price?". If they don't look at the computer and say "I really can't do anything", then they're probably lying (but not always). But if they do look at the computer, then they are checking their margins/cost. This will usually produce a good result.

But the best is being armed with information. They will usually match any other price out there.

One time, I told them that I didn't have enough to spend for the item I wanted...they then made a deal.

There are so many ways...just have fun with it without being a prick.

Really good advice! And good advice in general about not needing to be a prick to negotiate successfully.

Call fullcompass.com and get a price quote on what your looking for.
Ask the sales punk what the best they can go on the item.
Then tell them that you can get it at fullcompass for X dollars ans no sales tax.

Don't buy anything from GC with checking prices online.
I never pay the advertised price on anything at GC.
It may take some work but they will come down in price.

I had to be mean once

I got a brand new Martin for xmas. It was a $700 model that my dad and fiance paid $600 plus tax for.

I noticed that there were a few raised frets that were causing a buzz on frets 5-7. I took it back and wanted a direct swap. But the only other model they had was even worse than the one I brought back. So I was stuck getting a different model at this point. I tried Taylors, Martins, and even a Korean guitar made by Cort that was decent, but I couldn't find anything in the price range that sounded halfway decent. And the sales guys told me that they couldn't give me the same deal on a different guitar model that I got on the one I just returned.

Meaning I would be returning a guitar that was bought at $100 below the sticker price, and buying a guitar at the sticker price. Needless to say I was furious because not only did I get a $700 guitar with crappy finish work. But I couldn't even get that same model in good working order to replace it. So I HAD To buy another guitar and the sales guys wouldn;t give the same deal as the guitar I just brought back. These guys were actually trying to make MORE money off of me instead of fixing the problem with a bad product.

I was getting really pissed by this point, because I had to spend an extra $300 for a different Martin that actually played decent. It was a $999 model, plus another $60 for tax. They were making me pay full price for it. So I said maybe I'll just take my money back and go some place else. All I wanted was the same deal. I wanted the $999 model for $899 to replace the $699 model that we paid $599. After a heated argument they finally caved and gave me the discount. Everyone was happy after that, but I had to force these guys to give up their commission basically, and they weren't having it at first.

So usually you can be nice and get a great deal, MOST times actually. But SOMETIMES they try to screw you and you have to get nasty.

Thanks for this thread. I too was wondering how to get good deals at guitar center. I could be making an $8,000 purchase there soon and its been on my mind how to try to go about getting a good deal without being a dickhead.

So, do you just kind of hint at it and they bring it down or what? And whats the chances of them giving you a good deal if you dont bug them about the price? Obviously you dont just go "Dude, make this cheaper".

And, all this talk about fullcompass, are they really that much cheaper? I've been reading alot about the awesome prices people are getting from them :eek: I might have to look into that.

I'd say that anyone who was going to spend a lot at GC should be talking *to the store manager* and no one else. I used to deal with the store manager if I was only going to buy a cable (after building a relationship). That's the guy who's going to set the price in the end. And I don't think you're being a prick if you say "I need to deal with the store manager" when you walk in.

Or call first and find out who he is and then ask for him by name when you get there...

But if you talk to him and say "Look, I don't like haggling - I just want to get the 'good guy price' on this purchase without dealing with the middleman..." He's going to know where you're coming from and he isn't going to waste your time.

Hmm, interesting suggestions thus far thanks. I've tried the price match thing. I guess I don't really see the point, if I can find it for cheaper somewhere else, why wouldn't I just buy it there, especially with free shipping and no taxes online at a lot of places. I've heard crazy deals like a pair of GT66's for $200 a pop (they used to go for $500, now I think the sticker is $400). I can't touch deals like that, even on ebay. Maybe you've got to build up a repoire with one of them first and promise to spend more cash with them later. Good advice so far, keep 'em coming. :)

Good points. If you are going to be dropping $8,000 at a store, you definitely talk to the manager and get a package deal negotiated. You'll probably be able to walk out with more gear than you originally expected, too.

The other thing is to find a good manager/salesperson and keep going back to them. Over time they will come to recognize you as a regular customer and will give you better prices right from the start.

Do your homework on a purchase of that size (or any purchase for that matter)... get an idea of what the prices are, what you'd be willing to spend... then ask them what they can do... Never pay list for anything at GC... it's only on the price tag to make you feel like you got a great deal (even if you didn't)...

Some items they can discount substantially, based on the margin allowed by the vender (Roland is notoriously bad), other items regularly move for half the list... it depends... but you'll only know by asking.

And always go in with a good idea of exactly what you want... any opinions offered are sure to steer you not to the best product for you... but the best margin for the sales person...

They will match prices... so print out any great deals you may trip over on the net...

I've definitely developed a love/hate relationship with that store... only visit when I need something yesterday...

SonicAlbert said:
Good points. If you are going to be dropping $8,000 at a store, you definitely talk to the manager and get a package deal negotiated. You'll probably be able to walk out with more gear than you originally expected, too.

The other thing is to find a good manager/salesperson and keep going back to them. Over time they will come to recognize you as a regular customer and will give you better prices right from the start.
Heres the thing though, I've already talked to one of the guys up there, and he was really nice and helpfull. I'd feel like a dick if I didnt go through him (these guys get commission right?). :( Oh, what to do.....

Sorry for hijacking your thread, reshp1. :p

I think someone once said that GC has lower prices for BMI and ASCAP members. If someone knows whit is the discount?

billmcdonald said:
Heres the thing though, I've already talked to one of the guys up there, and he was really nice and helpfull. I'd feel like a dick if I didnt go through him (these guys get commission right?). :( Oh, what to do.....

Sorry for hijacking your thread, reshp1. :p

No worries, good info either way. I may not be spending 8 grand in the near future, but I sure as shit have with them and their affiliate Musician's Friend over the years.

Well I am one of the people who has done this repeatedly, and here are a few pieces of advice:

1. Timboz is right. Have a printout of the best online price you can find on a new unit from a legitimate competitor (not ebay). I start at Full Compass and 8th street. Then you'll at least know if someone is jerking you around. Never pay them more than that price.

2. Find out who in the store knows what the hell they are talking about, and deal exclusively with them. Know their fucking name and use it. It needs to be a manager, so they can sell from any department. So if I need a tuner, my guy in Pro Audio can go get it, so the accessories people don't try to stick it to me for full price.

3. Once you have developed a personal relationship with the manager, ask him for advice, even if you don't think you need it. If he actually knows anything, he might suggest a unit you don't know about. Everybody likes to think they do good stuff for people. It makes them feel useful. Let them think that, whether it's true or not.

4. If a manager quotes you a good price, and you go back to buy it and he's not there, buy it for his quoted price,not one penny more, and make sure they put his name on the ticket. That way he knows he isn't wasting his time talking to you just because you're not buying today. He also knows you'll take care of him when you do buy.

5. Don't buy stuff just to return it after you've used it. Salesmen don't make money that way, and it identifies you as a pain in the ass. Return things when they really are defective, or don't perform as advertised.

6. Give a little occasionally. I can't tell you how many good deals have been driven by a couple of CD's, a couple of Bardwire T-shirts, and a bottle of booze at Chritstmas. That's when you find out about the pristine B-stock items returned by the jerk who just buys stuff to return it. It's also when you find out what the *real* minimum prices are- Sennheiser e835-$36. Oktava MK012- $50.

7. I'm afraid this is the hard one- Salesmen give you great deals on little stuff because they think they can sell you big stuff. So buy stuff! I get prices on Sennheisers, Oktavas, and Behringer toys because every so often, I actually *buy* an SG Supreme, a Digi002, an Avalon AD2022, a B.L.U.E. Kiwi, a Taylor 710CE. There's the price of a used car. Do you think they sell me stuff cheap because of my good looks? No. Anything I can buy from GC, I do, because it lowers my prices on other stuff. If they don't carry what I want, I don't ever buy an inferior alternative, just because they carry it. A guy who actually knows Pro Audio will respect that you have standards, and won't try to sell you junk.

8. Bring your friends to buy things there, and help them pick it out. Often your buddies will get similar prices. This lets the sales staff know that even when you aren't going to buy things, you bring in other people who do. I have stood in GC and sold shit to people I don't even know, just to show the sales staff that I can. And I never bash gear a salesman has recommended, even if I think it sucks.

Just one story. At the time my guy was Chad, manager of Pro Audio at the Natick, MA GC. I brought in a pair of M-Audio SP5B's one of which had been dropped and crunched. I knew I needed some monitors. I only lied slightly. I told him I didn't know how the damage occurred (I had had them for 2 months) and I knew he could't replace them on warranty, so I asked him if they were worth anything on an exchange for a new set. He said, " What the hell? Let's just do a repair ticket on them, and we'll use them for demos. Go pick out a new pair." I also asked him for his best price on an Avalon AD2022- He quoted me $2100, about $400 off sticker. A week later, I bought it, and he wasn't there, so I made them stick his name on the ticket. When he came to work the next day, he was told *he* had sold an AD2022. He stopped me a couple of weeks later, thanked me, and asked me why I did that. I said, "You ate a monitor that you didn't have to. I never forget shit like that. Thank you." Moral of the story? The real key to getting good prices anywhere is to create a culture of cooperation, rather than an adversarial relationship, and prove that you actually are a buyer. If any of this helps anyone, I'm very happy about it.- Richie

timboZ said:
I think someone once said that GC has lower prices for BMI and ASCAP members. If someone knows whit is the discount?

I know they have a discount for ASCAP members, not sure about BMI. A friend of mine who is with ASCAP does make use of the discount. The way I understand it, the ASCAP discount goes on top of whatever discount or sale they are having.

undrgrnd studio said:
...After a heated argument they finally caved and gave me the discount. Everyone was happy after that, but I had to force these guys to give up their commission basically, and they weren't having it at first.

So usually you can be nice and get a great deal, MOST times actually. But SOMETIMES they try to screw you and you have to get nasty.

Maybe 1 out of 10,000 times this is true, but don't fall for that "I won't be able to feed my kids tonight if I sell it at that price" line. Businesses don't sell stuff at breakeven points or below cost unless they're trying to move obsolete inventory and improve their cash position. Anything they sell, they'll get their commission and the store will make money.

Even if it was true that they were selling at cost or below, the store takes the hit, generally not the saleman. The store has to make it right with the customer when they sell you bad product.

FYI...Guitar Center sold $1.8 billion in 2005 and made $132 million in operating income. ($77 million after taxes). That's not a huge margin per se, but retail stores generally don't get high margins...This is better than Walmart's margin and about the same as Target's margin.

On average their costs are 70% of their selling prices to you.

Musician's Friend discounts 5% for ASCAP members, not sure about BMI. I don't know about GC. In general. I am already driving such large discounts at GC that I don't try to pull the ASCAP thing on them. However, if I get an item where they can't do *any* discount (there are a few), I will generally just say I'll buy it from Musician's Friend. That usually gets my 5%.-Richie

Back