Hafler P versus TA

liebre

I just bought one of the Hafler P1000 amps from High Desert Audio (I guess this is just a Rockford ebay ID?) and was reading up on the Hafler amps. I'm curious as to what is the difference between the P series and the TA series Hafler amps. Does anyone here know anything about them and what market Hafler was targeting with the two different series? Also, how long ago Hafler went out of production and what happened with them.

I've been all through that site and read all of both manuals. Maybe its just over my head technically speaking. Trans-ana, Trans-nova....blah blah...sounds like "Certs with retsyn".

The P series manual says its "particularly suited for broadcast studios". The TA series says its for "music or instrument amplification". How are the needs for those two applications different and how are the amps different in order to make them more appropriate? Or is it just a case of two different manual writers writing something different?

The main difference I can see is the form factor and the p-series is fan-cooled while the TA is convection cooled. Just wondering if anyone more technically astute has some insight.

These amps are going for pretty low bids right now and they seem to be putting one up at a time every week.

"P" for "Pro" - "TA" for "Training Amplifier" - :D

Not that the TA's are bad - Certainly excellent for the bucks, but they aren't the TransNova...

Massive Master said:
"P" for "Pro" - "TA" for "Training Amplifier" - :D

Not that the TA's are bad - Certainly excellent for the bucks, but they aren't the TransNova...

As far as I know, the TA1600 (which I own) uses their TransNova technology. Maybe the TA1100 didn't, but the TA1600 is a pretty decent amp IMO.

I can not tell you what the differences in the "P" series and the "TA" series actually are. What I can tell you is what I have noticed over the years. Personally, the "P" series sounds MUCH better to me than the TA. It seems a little faster, and much more present to me. The "P" series is also generally much more powerful then the TA stuff. Even the TA1600 runs out of headroom very fast compared to a P3000.

-ana versus -nova seems to be more correlated to the power level of the amp rather than whether its a P-series or TA-series. The P1000 is a trans-ana circuit, as is the TA-1100. the P1500 and TA-1600 are both trans-nova. Kind of wish I had gotten one of the more powerful ones (P1000 is only 50 wpc, total of 100) but I guess for $80 all in I should just shut up and hope it works!

From my understanding, the main difference is the protection circuits present in the P series amps that are not present in the TA series amps.

Otherwise, I am pretty sure they use the same technology. You are just MUCH safer with the P series amps.

I would think that

a convection-cooled amp would be preferable to a fan-cooled in a recording environment (where it needs to be quiet), where a fan-cooled would be preferable for heavy duty use, such as a PA (operating in less than ideal conditions) or broadcast (where I'm assuming it would be running pretty much 24/7).

Just my guess.

Back