Good tube mic preamp?

Cool guys, I've been looking at the options you have been giving me, and seriously taking your advice :)
I got a question and I would really appreciated if u can help me ASAP... Yesterday I went to my local GC, and they have a channel strip for clearance, the model is Trident 4T,

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_trident/

and there is a link for it... the guy told me is a very good preamp and that is a steal because it used to be $1,000 and now it's just 400, last unit for clearance... what do you guys think about that preamp?

Thanks a lot again guys!

Thanks a lot for your reply Farview... so what solid state preamp would you recommend in that price range? I think I'm gonna stick with a solid state preamp and a Line6 UX2 audio interface... what do you think?

Really appreciate it again!

That interface comes with a free version of Abelton Live.

Cool guys, I've been looking at the options you have been giving me, and seriously taking your advice :)
I got a question and I would really appreciated if u can help me ASAP... Yesterday I went to my local GC, and they have a channel strip for clearance, the model is Trident 4T,

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_trident/

and there is a link for it... the guy told me is a very good preamp and that is a steal because it used to be $1,000 and now it's just 400, last unit for clearance... what do you guys think about that preamp?

Thanks a lot again guys!

When it comes to bang for your buck...go for the Line6 UX8...you can have 8 channels of Neve...API...or Avalon, and I got mine for $350 from Guitar center on clearance.

Keep your eyes open for a used Peavey VMP-2. Yes, it is a Peavey but it is a real deal 4 tubes per channel preamp and it can be found in your price range. Here is a link to some more info on it:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug99/articles/peaveyvmp2.htm

What is said aboe is true, tube does not automatically mean warm sounding. A lot of the time what people think they hear in the tubes is really the transformer sonic signature. In the case of the VMP-2, it really is a great preamp for the money, with transformer outs or you can by pass the transformer by using the unbalanced outputs. This is not some "hybrid" tube preamp, it is a classic tube design.

Yeah I recently got one of these and am really digging it. I put NOS tubes (Raytheon black plates for the preamp tubes, GE's for the EQ tubes and GE JAN 12at7's) in it and it sounds great. Not quite as nice as my LaChapell tube pre, but it cost about half as much (even after the retubing) and doesn't need a lunchbox. The eq on the Peavey is not really versatile, but sounds good and is useful for cuts and shelving.

I picked up an Art MPA Gold on Ebay, brand new, delivered for $225. Easy to use, made all my mics sound warmer and richer than they did through my DMP3 and Layla3G preamps.

You can make it even better by changing out the stock 12AX7 tubes with some boutique types and still have a few hundred left over to spend on other gear.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=79&cat=1&id=93

Same experience here with the same setup!

I also have the ART MPA Gold...after owning and using the Presonus Firebox for 3 or so years, the ART was a huge improvement for my setup. If you're still considering there's lots of net discussion about the ART for you to find and read.

The MPA Gold and PRO VLA each used to cost a lot more (I remember maybe $400 or something like that) before production was moved over to China. I've read some folks report that there are some audible differences. I wonder if a lot of that is just the different tubes used. They're pretty solid units.

Sunday I discovered a stash of seven tubes in a reel to reel deck. All Mullard 12AX7s or Telefunken ECC23s. I put a Mullard in my TubePre and thought I could hear an improvement for a day or two. :)

In a TubePre, you could probably jump the connections with paper clips and it won't make a difference.

DISCLAIMER: Jumping tube connections with paper clips actually not suggested.

In a TubePre, you could probably jump the connections with paper clips and it won't make a difference.

DISCLAIMER: Jumping tube connections with paper clips actually not suggested.

Yeah, for a second there I was having delusions of selling the tubes and getting a RNP. Now you've got me thinking about the market for vintage paper clips. ;-)

Its in the context of a gear review of a mic pre that is out of your price range but I explain a little about the "tube mic pre sound" in this video.

http://ronansrecordingshow.com/2009/03/lachapell-audio-583e-mic-preeq-review-episode-02/

You are right...most of the time they are talking about toob gear where the glowing tube is more of an indicator that the distortion box is on.:rolleyes:

At the very minimum Id stay away unless if it has full plate voltage...so we are thinking Peavy VMP2 as being at the low end of useable gear...tubes should be more of a sound thing not a marketing hype thing.

I do like the sound of the Avalon model in the Line6 UX8 preamp...this way you do have the good without the bad....and the expense...bonus you dont have to wait while it warms up...lol.

Not sure about downing starved plate tube pres and extolling the virtues of preamp modeling in the same post. The first part is fine... :)

Back