Focusrite TwinTrak versus ART MPA Gold

dshlapak

Howdy, all. I'm upgrading my amateur home studio and am looking to buy a two-channel pre-amp for mics (Studio Projects B1, SM-57) and DI'ing clean guitar. I've done a reasonable amount of research and, in my price range, it seems to boil down to two alternatives: the ART MPA Gold and the Focusrite TwinTrak Pro. Both have features I really like: the ART has tube-y goodness and digital outs (a growth thing, not a must have), the TwinTrak some nice notch EQ and compression on top of two pretty decent pres. I'd be interested in experiences/opinions/rants on these hummers. My one request--a plea, really--is to please try to minimize the, "Hey, have you thought about product X" replies unless you really, really think that both the ART and Focusrite are really and truly and profoundly inferior to your candidate. I'm already half nuts and I want to make a decision, set up the rig, and get back to making music.

The rest of my (primitive) setup is a dbx 266XL compressor (which I have yet to tame, hence my interest in the compressor section of the TwinTrak) and a Presonus Firebox Firewire interface to Logic Express and various plug-ins running on a G5 iMac. I've been using a first-generation ART Tube MP as my pre/DI box.

Thanks in advance for your counsel.

Cheers.

--- das

I own the GOLD MPA non-digital and really like it
I also own 2 Focusrite TrakMaster pro's (TMP).
Of the 2 you mentioned, the Twin Trak Pro (TTP) would be my recommendation as it gives you a lot of parameter changing functions that the MPA does not ie multi-functional.
I really like the compression function on my TMP's and the TMP compression does a real nice job on bass guitar.
I personally like the XLR and TRS inputs on the front of the panel as it allows one to start making music faster.
Not sure but you might be able to insert your Tube MP into the TTP signal chain to add (low-cost)tube colouration.
It would be great if you could pick one up on eBay for a nice price. ;)

Gold

The Digital MPA is the one with the digital hook-ups, while the MPA Gold is just a regular pre (non-digital). I have the MPA Gold and I really liked it right away. It's way better than the ART tube pre that you have. I'm a fan of the MPA Gold. It does the job well!

Im looking at adding a Focusrite to my rigs as well....so if you do go that route..plz reply with some results. The unit itself looks hella beauty, ncie sleek design.

I also have a Focusrite twintrak pro and it really is a good sounding piece of equipment, it works very well as a front end to my Tascam DP-01FX , plus I use two Audio Technica 2020 condenser mics to strereo mic my guitar and I find you can get a nice strereo compression with the TTP as well as using the midscoop eq'.

I love the focusrite pre amps.

Dave

I own both the TT Pro and the ART MPA Gold ( w/o digital). If I had to keep one, it would be the TT Pro not only for its sound but also its functionality. I used it once for remote recording and the headphone mixing and latency free monitoring really came in handy and minimized the number of other units I had to bring along. Not to mention that it has eq's and compressors.

In a way it's not a fair comparison because the TT Pro is more expensive.

In general I'd describe the TT Pro sound as clean and the MPA as dirtier, but I wouldn't get too excited about "tubey goodness" with the MPA. If you're not careful the goodness can turn into grainyness pretty fast.

That said, the compressor and eq on the TT Pro are only marginally useful because they have very few adjustable parameters. For example, you can only select between two levels of cut on the eq and two attack times (fast&slow) on the compressor. I do think the compressor sounds pretty good, but I don't do much compression during tracking.

Dude i say go with the mpa...i have it and can't say enough about it for the price....never had any of the focustrie stuff seems pretty nice but ever since digdisign sells it, i herd it turn crappy... ( i don't personnaly know, but i have seen shit break on people only after a few months)

Back