focusrite saffire

so that makes them 2 different things?? maybe hes just plugging his preamp right into his soundcard and wants to kill 2 birds with one stone.

treymonfauntre said:
...maybe hes just plugging his preamp right into his soundcard and wants to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Makes sense to me...

But the poster wasn't exactly clear what his setup is.

Is the Trackmaster a better pre-amp than what's on the Saffire? I'd guess not by much if at all, BUT I haven't used either. Plus there are two pre's on the Saffire. Is it really a downgrade?

ADDED: I forgot about the "bells and whistles" features on the Trackmaster: mid-scoop and a compressor with a "squash" button. Maybe it is leagues beyond the pre's on the Saffire...I almost feel like going out tonight and buying one. :D Seems that most don't really like the Focusrite low-end pre's though. I'll have to poke around abit here cause I'm bored.

Last edited:
i might be moving to a diff country and i wanted to switch to laptop recording through a firewire interface rather than taking my desktop set up.

right now i have the focusrite trakmaster and emu 1212m.

if the saffire isn't much of an upgrade, or if its even a downgrade, what other interfaces in the same price range should i be looking at? i record mostly rap vocals and occassionaly do r&b with a shure ksm27.

i'm open to any/all suggestions, but what'd i'd really like is to hear raw sound samples if possible and/or personal reviews of interfaces.

Don't know about the other options but all I can say is that the Saffire sounds great and drivers are very reliable. Pre-amps on the mics are high quality and the built in effects are too.

That seems to be the opinion of many European users, perhaps in the USA it isn't that loved.

Back