"Fat" channel for 2k

Halion

I've nearly convinced my teachers at school to purchase a bunch or processing gear in order to make sort of a "fat" channel.

We are using preamps from the mackie d8b and RME Octamic. They are ok but nothing special. We have on SPL Channel One (1000$ channel strip, tube pre, EQ + comp).

What I'd personally like is something to color the sound with. Not necesarilly the cleanest stuff around, just coloring options. I was thinking of some joemeek stuff, together with something like an Electro Harmonix Bi Filter (note that we already have an electrix filter factory so this might not be such a smart purchase).

It will all be used for very diverse types of music. From dance to radio jingles to orchestral stuff to punk etc.

Any thoughts on great and colorfull bang-for-the-buck gear?

I wouldnt use the same gear on orchestral stuff that I did on Public Service announcements..

Thats why ive been suggesting the Hamptone and DAV a lot..two preamps, one pristine, one dirty. for under 1700 for the both of em..

If we are talking public service announcements or orchestral stuff, then Ray's suggestions sound like good ones to me. If we are talking about any sort of rock music, drums etc... then Neve is one of the best places to start since you said you are looking for a "FAT" channel. It does not get much fatter than Neve, and you get world class EQ with a Neve channel as well (in my opinion the EQ is what makes them worth so much, not necessarily the preamp). Basically, for all types of standard music (bandish styles) the Neves are tried and true.

Colorful gear needn't be the most expensive gear, and if you want to get into high end gear $2,000 is really not enough to get you there. I usually save the big bucks for the pristine type of equipment, anyway. For color you can really get away with spending less, but having a wide variety is important.

A Meek SC 2.2 or something similar would be a different color from what you already have, so I think you are going in the right direction there. Maybe not fat, but different, and you will find uses for it.

I also have my own little "fat channel", which is an ART PRO VLA with EI Telefunken copy tubes into a Peavey Tube Sweetener. Good on some things, not so good on others, but that's why you have a variety of gear. Not every piece of equipment is going to work for everything.

SonicAlbert said:
Colorful gear needn't be the most expensive gear, and if you want to get into high end gear $2,000 is really not enough to get you there.
That really makes no sense. $2K is more than enough to get into two channels of high-end gear by many manufacturers. And that includes pres, eq's, comps, etc.

If you are so Inclined you could even build a Hamptone for really cheap as it is a quite easy curcuit....

Here:

Attachments

• Hamp-Tube-Pre-Sche.jpg
    Hamp-Tube-Pre-Sche.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 204
Dot said:
That really makes no sense. $2K is more than enough to get into two channels of high-end gear by many manufacturers. And that includes pres, eq's, comps, etc.

He's talking tube preamps, eq's, compressor. You could get two channels of high end preamps for that, but certainly not an eq and comp of similar quality along with it. Plus, as far as eq's and comp/limiters, the area around $1,700-2,000 is just the starting price range for the good stuff.

If he wants two channels of preamps, eq, and compressor for $2,000 that will be mid-range quality gear. It will be worlds better than the budget stuff, but still, I think we need to be careful about what we call "high end" and be realistic about what it really costs.

Minion said:
If you are so Inclined you could even build a Hamptone for really cheap as it is a quite easy curcuit....

Here:

Minion, have you put one of those JFET's preamps together? I have been tempted by this before. Simple or no?

Hi, No I haven"t built a Hamptone yet but I am thinking about it.. I built mostly Solid State Equipment and haven"t done much Tube stuff...

No it doesn"t look like there is a phantom power curcuit but it is extremely easy to add one as the Phantom power can be added by just adding a couple 6.8k resistors and a couple 47uF DC Blocking Caps....If you need to know how to incorporate the Phantom Power let me know and I"ll fill you in....

From what I have heard over at the Prodigy Forum this is a really easy Project and it has a Real Smooth Tube sound but a Little Noisier than most Solid State curcuits which is normal with tubes.... Pluss it is a Very Inexpensive Curcuit to build if you can get the Tubes and Sockets and a Good Power supply.....

Cheers

the hamptone is very nice. I own 4 pendulum MDP-1s too, and the hamptone to me is virtually indistinguishable from them(pendulum is 3 times more)
Minion said:
Hi, No I haven"t built a Hamptone yet but I am thinking about it.. I built mostly Solid State Equipment and haven"t done much Tube stuff...

No it doesn"t look like there is a phantom power curcuit but it is extremely easy to add one as the Phantom power can be added by just adding a couple 6.8k resistors and a couple 47uF DC Blocking Caps....If you need to know how to incorporate the Phantom Power let me know and I"ll fill you in....

From what I have heard over at the Prodigy Forum this is a really easy Project and it has a Real Smooth Tube sound but a Little Noisier than most Solid State curcuits which is normal with tubes.... Pluss it is a Very Inexpensive Curcuit to build if you can get the Tubes and Sockets and a Good Power supply.....

Cheers

SteveE9C6 said:
It is a quite versatile pre. It is an all tube path and ads a nice tube shimmer. A lot of folks are strapping it across the stereo mix down bus.

Well damn, another steeler! I play too.(though I am just a youngun) My MSA S-10(3+4) is my main piece, but I play a 1973 rickenbacker lap steel a lot too. Shoulda figured you being a steel player out by your handle alone.

Nice to have another steel player around!

Even though the picture on my website is of me playing a Carter, I am now playing "Rains" pedal steels. I've got an Emmons too, but I rarely play it. thanks for the welcome.

Back