Ebay Overpaying

If I have something to sell... I'll usually do a search for pending auctions, and put them on my watch list to get an idea of what it will fetch... I was thinking of selling an old Alesis Quadraverb... There were probably a dozen out there and they sold from around $30 to $150... all in similar condition.

My experience is ebay is defineatly far better on the sellers end. I had some kind of rare things i bought locally and got much more than i paid for them on ebay. I actually might start buying and selling equipment, mostly so i can test stuff out and then sell. Just realize what is popular, what people can afford and you can make money. I never buy used on ebay anymore, only new unless i find something listed wrong that people miss. I see alot of used stuff go for retail, etc.

My advice for buying used stuff is local. Word of mouth, craigslist, etc. Those people want quick money, you always find reasonable deals and if you wait, or just look, you find great deals.

My experience is ebay is defineatly far better on the sellers end

I love selling on ebay, people go crazy. In the last three years I've bought one item, and the only reason it was a deal was it had a great buy it now price.I've had used items sell for the same price as new.

all of my mics, my interface, my electric guitar, accordian, bells, violin, cello, bows....ebay.

oh man do i like ebay. $1250 cello in the store..260 ebay..$600 guitar...250 ebay...$700 onyx...for 400 with a free sm57. glock bells were like..20 bucks...accordian 20 bucks..

its still great for buyers.

cello_pudding said:
all of my mics, my interface, my electric guitar, accordian, bells, violin, cello, bows....ebay.

oh man do i like ebay. $1250 cello in the store..260 ebay..$600 guitar...250 ebay...$700 onyx...for 400 with a free sm57. glock bells were like..20 bucks...accordian 20 bucks..

its still great for buyers.

Yeah, I've got about 100 mics and at least 80% were bought on e-bay. Same with a lot of my outboard gear -- NHTPro A-10s, Peavey VC/L-2, DBX 160xt, Groove Tubes MP-1 pres and EQ-1 equalizers, Auto-Tune, Symetrix comps and pres, DBX 242 EQs, Speck ASC-T EQ, API lunchbox and modules, MXR Phase 100 (pre LED), Keeley Comp, etc. You just got to know what you are buying and what it's worth. If you don't do your due diligence, then it's buyer beware. It may be that there were more good deals for buyers earlier on (and I don't doubt it), but you can still do OK if you are discriminating and don't get caught up in the bidding process.

pohaku said:
I bid my maximum one time as well (unless it's a BIN). I just do it in the last 5 seconds. If I do it earlier, then there is more opportunity for people who want to bid against me to drive the price up incrementally as they seek to determine what my maximum bid is.

ahhhhhhhhhh, true!

E-bay

I purchased all of my protools gear on e-bay and had to wait over a year at times to get the price I could afford. I also have been ripped off more times than not recently, so you have to pay close attention to the feedback scores to avoid getting ripped off. I tried selling a few items but had no luck since everyone is trying to keep the prices low and doing nothing but watching and never bidding. It's a crap game there. I bought a few things I didn't need due to my own innocence and not realizing that DSP cards weren't the same as Mix cards and spending money on the wrong item. I had asked the seller if they were Mix cards and they lied by saying they work with the mix system and so I purchased them and wasted my money. Lately if I don't receive an item within 10 days I automatically file a dispute since that seems to make the sellers get the lead out and get around to sending it. I wish they would get rid of the thieves there.

orksnork said:
you mentioned the ashly compressors...

these things are pretty hot tickets...i like them better than any dbx anywhere near it's price range...

i've seen the single go anwhere from 50 to 150 dollars and the double upwards of 300 (0_o)

i've managed to pick up a few units at a super cheap price and it makes me feel very happy

I picked one of the two-channel Ashly CLX-52 Compressors (link) at a local Music Go Round (a used music gear store chain) for $125.00!! I was there helping a friend of mine offload some old PA gear, when I looked over and saw the CLX-52 racked up with a price tag of $150.00, so I asked about it. The clerk said that it had been there for more than 30 days, so they could mark it down to $125.00 ...funny thing is, I waited until I got home to call them back to put a hold on it after thinking about it all the way home. I was trying to save up for a big-ticket mic, but I just knew I couldn't pass that deal up!! ;)

I consider it one of my best music gear-related purchases to date!!

:D

-mr moon

phaqu said:
I remember them new at around $700-800 or so. I guess theyre vintage now :rolleyes: . I wonder if ADATs and Mackies are going to be called "vintage" and sell for $3500?

Well, until Sebatron and the Brick came out, the VMP-2 was the only game in town for a relatively low priced real tube preamp that was not a starved plate design and was well built. When Peavey quit making them, the price popped up to $800-1000. Now, however, there are other options. Still an excellent purchase for a two channel tube pre in the $600-800 range though.

Back