distressor - for tracking or mixing or both?

wes480

how useful is this thing?

i know it is supposed to be great for peak limiting...does it just have great sounding compression or what, or is there something else really "special" about it?

also, what do you know about Fatso Jr from empirical?

It just has a very unique quality to it that, once you use it, hear it, know it . . . you kinda' get hooked and wish you could afford one. :D

Almost every top studio has one (Distressor), usually more than one, because it does so many things so well whether tracking or mixing. And they aren't all that expensive either - usually around $1100-1200 for one channel.

The Fatso Jr. is a little more of a specialized unit. Because of the lack of fine control over compression parameters, I was not able to get much use out of it while tracking, although that could be a function of my skill level. Typically it is used as an insert into the mix bus to put a little bit of analog compression sheen on an otherwise mix, similar to how one would use the Cranesong HEDD, except the HEDD has no compression functions.

They used those alot on the U2 Pop album for Drum OH's and vocals. I believe Macle uses one on his vocals. I need to get one of those babies.

Back