descent effects

hottsauce_21

decent effects

honestly i Really like the way my vocals sound. clean as a whistle. but i know theres alot to making music then just clean vocals. i wanna learn how to bring my vocals out more and wonderin if an effects box is the way to go. im stuck usin the effects on my emu .1212m , i also use cool edit to record and adjust my track levels and shit. this is for hip hop. i've heard people talk about paning vocals to make em wider. but yet figured how that works, cuz when i record i make sure the levels...

Last edited:
Are around -6, and i adjust the volume levels and equalizers and shit. but the voice never seems to stand out really. will an effects box help out alot, like better reverbs and shit. or should i aim for another program or another processor that will really make my vocals stand out. please help

Of course the best way to a get good vocal is a good voice in a decent acosutic space into a suitable mic and preamp.

Have you tried experimenting with distance from the mic? Getting up close can add proximity effect which can make the voice sound fuller and up front, of course it could just make it boomy and horrible if you overdo it.

Further to that a compressor can be used to "bring vocals out more", you could also try a broad boost of 2-3 dbs somewhere in the presence range (4-6kHz) using your eq.

Subtle use of reverb can be nice but it won't make things sound more up front, in fact it'll have the opposite effect.

well i got a voice master pro and a rode k2. do you know if the compressor on the vmp is any good? or should i aim for a separate compressor box? also i do get close and back from the mic dependin on what style im aimin for. but i run into a vocal problem sometimes, for some reason when the mic picks up a HEW, OH, I, AH, etc. the word doesn't come out as clear as i'd like, it gets loud. what could be the problem? everything else comes out normal on the wave form but jumps on those certain words.

I know compression as somethin to do wit it, but im not sure how to use that really on my vmp. so i never really mess wit it

keep everything off, no eq, no compression, no tube saturation, no expander...nothing....... Get a clean signal and record, should be okay. Once you've mastered that, introduce the bells and whistles one at a time to taste.
Lotsa guys try to use all the crap on that unit when they first get it and it sounds pretty weird.

Big Kenny said:
keep everything off, no eq, no compression, no tube saturation, no expander...nothing....... Get a clean signal and record, should be okay. Once you've mastered that, introduce the bells and whistles one at a time to taste.
Lotsa guys try to use all the crap on that unit when they first get it and it sounds pretty weird.

Post of the day!

Back