DBX Compressors

JG96

I have been thinking about getting a DBX compressor of some sort recently. I was at a studio yesterday and the mixing engineer was parallel comping the drum bus into some DBX compressors. It sounded FAT! I know a lot of the newer compressors are inferior. Which models would you guys recommend? I have been thinking about the 166XL as it is very versatile and stereo but some people say the DBX160X/XL is superior. This would mainly be used for drums, bass, and maybe vocals.

I have a 166 (black face), two of 166A and a Project 1 266. They're fine for live mixing but I'd rather use plugins in the studio. If you're mixing in analog I suppose I can see using them. I would lean toward the 166 for parallel drum compression simply for the convenience of linking the two channels with a switch.

I was going to suggest experimenting ITB before hooking up all the necessaries for parallel compression in analog...

I've had a few 160x's not so great for vocals (to heavy handed) but very fat for bass and drums. Especially good on Bass Guitar.

I have definitely experimented with ITB parallel compression. I have a 160 VST that does some cool things. I am considering the 166XL because it is stereo and thus good on a stereo bus.

Had a hardware dual (or stereo) compressor. I kept trying to convince myself that I really needed it. But of course I didn't. I sold it. Probably just liked the blinking lights :D

You will need 2 x DBX160X as they are mono units. The is a link function to make 2 of them act a stereo unit.

Alan.

Tried using the Dbx 166xl on the drum bus a couple of months ago, they were pretty poor IMO, had two units and both preformed very badly.
Get yourself a Fmr Rnc instead as it is way superior to the 166xl

I was looking at the RNC today. I don't really understand it though. Thought of microprocessors in hardware confuses me. I have recently had luck slamming a waves SSL comp at a 10:1 ratio. I just feel like a 166 might give me more dirt.

I was looking at the RNC today. I don't really understand it though. Thought of microprocessors in hardware confuses me. I have recently had luck slamming a waves SSL comp at a 10:1 ratio. I just feel like a 166 might give me more dirt.

The SSL plug is allright, IMO no vst can compare to a good hardware compressor, they offer something different sonicly.
But seriously for studio purposes the Dbx seems useless compared to the Rnc, if I'm not mistaken Rnc is one of the most praised budget compressors around.
It's found in quite a few professional studios.

Also check out the RNLA from the same company FMR, if you are looking for more dirt as the Rnc is pretty transparent.

I kinda like the nasty artifacts that DBX comps bring into play. However the RNC also seems really cool and much more versatile. If I could somehow get both I would be super happy!

I like the 160a its my goto comp otb for bass the 166/266xl are no too bad. it depends on what you're compressing, sidechain eqing is nice. I do like the sound of the 160sl. but at the price point I would rather get an api lunchbox and stick some ssl g comp modules for buss compression.

another great comp on the buss that they don't make anymore was thier dbx ddp.

I think I will try and get an older 166 or 1066 if I can find one for a good price. Right now I am winning an auction for an RNC 1773. Wish me luck everyone!

Good luck man, hope you win it.
I'd steer away from the 1066 until you've got the chance to a/b it against the rnc.
it seriously is one of the worst compressors I've used. (1066, that is)

Thanks Nakatira. It seems to have the same controls as the 166. Do you know how they compare. Also what is your gripe with it? Is the compression very obvious or something else?

Thanks Nakatira. It seems to have the same controls as the 166. Do you know how they compare. Also what is your gripe with it? Is the compression very obvious or something else?

No Probs mate, yes it has lots of controls on it's surface/front.
My gripe with it is how things sound after they go through it, it really hurts the audio, I did not like it on anyhting. and believe me I tried twisting and turning those knobs as I really needed it for that evening.
Got the Rnc and the rnla the next day, and they worked instantly, you can even go a bit overbaord on the compression and they will sound much more musical.

In the end most compressors and dynamic tools will compress your sound, but it's the way they do it that puts them appart.

I like the RNC well enough, but it tends toward a "puffy" sound. Sometimes that works and sometimes I want the edgier sound I can get from one or another dbx. It just depends.

Back