dbx 363x dual noisegate

Wireneck

I just picked one of these up off ebay for 28 bucks. I figure for that price i will find some way to use it. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with this unit?

the unit has 2 inputs on the back for each gate that are called "key" . Is this the same thing as a sidechain input? Just curious
Also does anyone know where i might be able to download the manual for this unit?

Hmmm?

I tried to find it for you with no luck:( I did find one referrance one the dbx site www.dbxpro.com that said besides having side chain, one unit also had key inputs.

Ahhhh I think I have got it for you. Go here http://www.dbxpro.com/manuals.htm

And download the manual for the 1074 quad gate. it has Key inputs on it too. I would assume they are the same thing:D

Good Luck

F.S.

Edit: PS I browsed the manual and it didn't seem too helpfull, but give it a try.

thanks man

i appreciate the effort. I did a search on this model but the only thing that keeps coming up are different studios "Gear list".
I suppose that could be a good sign, alot of people have or are using thse things lol.
Im hoping the key inputs are the same as a sidechain. I was reading something about making triggers from some doorbell thing at radioshack to trigger the gate. I can't remember what thread i read this in. I guess i should be looking for that too lol. Thanks again

Hey Wireneck.. I don't think it is the same as side chain because some of the dbx models have both. On the other hand I know next to nothing about side chain or it's uses. I have never had a compressor/gate with side chain. The key input does sound like it is for an external input though..... not to link the channels.

Later

F.S.

Wire Neck,

Tom Cram is an active member here and works for DBX (I believe). He seems very knowledgable.

If he doesn't jump in on this in a day or two try sending him a private message through the board here.

I have 2 of them(4 channels)....with a little care in placing mics and the proper use of levels you shouldn't need to gate anything...that being said, some really loud and obnoxious rock drummers who cant seem to be able to play without 15 or 20 pieces in front of them at all times will require a judicious use of gates on the snare and kik drums...be forewarned though...getting the gates just right takes a LOT of time and patience.....the 'key' is just that....you can 'key' the gate from another source much like a side chain.

thanks for the info

Cavedog, ive worked with gates before and i know just the types of drummers that you are talking about. Im glad im not the only one who has these people lurking around their place hahaha.
Thanks for clearing up about the key input. I figured that it was the same thing as a sidechain. Now if i could only find that thread.

7 year-old thread but I need a little help with the 363x.
I keep getting chatters when gating the kick drum. In short, I couldn't set the threshold high enough to eliminate snare/hi-hat bleeds and the 'clicks' at the same time.
I think it has sth to do with the fast attack time (0.1ms) and the nature of the kick drum. I have similar problems with the toms too but only when the drummer taps the toms lightly. So, it's only problematic with the kick.

Is there anyone out there with similar experience? Any advice?

I helped design that gate. The "key" is really a trigger input. TRIGGER didn't fit on he panel. I was trained on analog synths way back and in the mid 1980s realized there was not an affordable gate with an external trigger, something I used a lot during my days working in studios as an engineer.

With the key an audio source you don't hear on the track could control a mono or stereo signal. Or you could Y an audio signal to trigger whatever was going thru the gate. Or you could use an eq on the Yd input signal to fine tune when the gate opened.

I was big on using indirectly related audio material as a key source. So something more or less continuous would be chopped up.

The key monitor button was for listening to and tweaking the eq.

A side chain is simply the non audio control signal in a processor. They all have a side chain but only some let you interrupt the side chain, taking the output elsewhere or what have you.

So a key iinput really doesn't interrupt the side chain, it allows a different signal at th input to the control side of the unit. It was done this way to keep costs down.

Hope this helps.

Back