# of compressors

Nick The Man

how many compressors does everyone have sitting in their rack ???

anyone got some recommendations on what ones i should get im lost when it comes to them

As Always, budget drives selection choice. There are low budget selections that are usable from FMR, DBX, Symetrix, & Toft as well.

If you have a greater budget, the choices and performace increase.

Simman said:
As Always, budget drives selection choice. There are low budget selections that are usable from FMR, DBX, Symetrix, & Toft as well.

If you have a greater budget, the choices and performace increase.

yeah ive always heard good things about DBX

any specific model #s to look at

I have a 166 but it's not my 1st choice. The RNC (in superfine) is a decent compressor for just about anything but drums.

There have been a lot of discussions on this forum about this subject.

I have several DBX 1066's, they are usable on just about anything.

I also really like the ART pro VLA.

You would be in good shape with a rack full of those two.

Farview said:
I have several DBX 1066's, they are usable on just about anything.

I also really like the ART pro VLA.

You would be in good shape with a rack full of those two.

thanks

ILL TAKE A LOOK

lol

The pro VLA is very easy to use. It has two buttons for attack and release, fast and slow. If it doesn't sound good on fast, hit the button.

if your just starting out with compressors, I suggest the rnc. The changes in the controls are pretty dramatic, and it really helps you to learn what you are doing.

I have 10 channels of compresison sitting in my studio rack, and another 24 channels at my shop should I need or want them. Dbx 1066's are certainly good little units. You can get a fairly clean low ratio sound, or you can really pump them. I have 8 channels of them in my live racks and find they are pretty easy to use. However, if you can save up and get into a nicer and older comp, you will see a big difference in what it does to your tone and overall sound. It's really a personal decision I guess:)

I've got:

(2) RNC's
RNLA
dbx 160xt
dbx 166
dbx 166a
Joemeek ThreeQ (channel strip that includes a compressor)

The 166's tend to get patched in when the others are full, but I'm not unhappy with their sound. I tend to use them lightly, though. In contrast I regularly hit the 160xt pretty hard and I love it. The RNC's will do almost anything I want them to. The RNLA is too new to be very specific about, but it looks to be almost as versatile as the RNC.

The Meek's compressor is...uh... interesting. It goes from "Is it on?" to "TURN IT OFF!!" pretty quickly. I haven't really given it the time it deserves to learn how to use it, I suppose, but still I'd recommend getting a more "normal" compressor for a first one.

take care,
Chris

Bellari RP282a (dual mono)
Aphex Compellor (dual mono)
dbx 166xl (dual mono)
bluemax (stereo)
RNC (stereo)

my fav. is the bluemax. least fav. is RNC. Bellari doesn't work at all on really dynamic stuff like vox or drums but rocks on bass. compellor I am still getting used to; weird tone to it on some things and really transparent on others; dbx has an ok limiter; I hear the 1066 limiter is better; but it still works really good; RNC has an interesting tone; sounds good on distorted guitars.

Back