Which compressor would you go for ?????

What do you want the compressor for? Do you have a specific need or just a general compressor? What is in need of compression the most in your work?
Jim

soundchaser59 said:
From your list I would go with the DBX stuff every time..... it is tried and trued and very predictable. And that's a good thing when it comes to a compressor.....

The 266xl's are really bad. REAAAALLLLLY bad.

ez_willis said:
The 266xl's are really bad. REAAAALLLLLY bad.

that's the one I was thinking of, the 266, sounds like ass to coin a phrase. noisy crappy mud.

the 386 is they're vocal channel strip thing, not nearly as crappy as the 266 dual comp. in fact not a bad pre for an entry level strip actually, but that's a different topic.

thanks for mentioning that model #, that's a stay away from unit, even my pre-modded 3630 sounded better than it.

Cheers,
Don

I guess opinions vary. I have a bunch of 166's, 266's, 1066's, 1046's and 160's. I would prefer any of the Drawmers for just about any signal over any of the DBX's. Not that the DBX's are that bad, but the Drawmers are just nicer. Personally, I wish we did not have any of the 266's. They do sound pretty bad in comparison, but I would still prefer them to Alesis or Behringer. The 166's are decent, and the 1066 and 1046 is very similar, different limiter circuit though.

As for the 386 channel strip, I would rather use nearly any other DBX gear than that. I had a few of them years ago and just could not bare to keep them. I found the preamp to be pretty nasty, the EQ was very mediocre, and the compressor was awful. I even had some of the 500 series versions and they sounded pretty bad as well. The 700 series though was considerably better and actually very nice. Than again the cost more than quadruples.

xstatic said:
As for the 386 channel strip, I would rather use nearly any other DBX gear than that. I had a few of them years ago and just could not bare to keep them. I found the preamp to be pretty nasty, the EQ was very mediocre, and the compressor was awful.
I second that... but I've still got mine... I still can't figure out why... (not that it see's any use)

yea, like I said, for an entry level strip, in comparison with an old mackie pre, I think it offers the newbie something to work with, but I guess compared to the cheap strips these days the 386 sucks too. fair enough, was just thinking out loud, good points though.

Cheers,
Don

Back