Compressor for bass

Fab4ever

Getting better
Hi all.

I've used an old pre-PMI Joemeek compressor for tracking bass (Groove Tube Brick - Meek - Delta 66). But the compressor is starting to crackle and distort for no apparent reason.

Now I like what the compressor adds to my bass sound, so I'm wondering if I'd be best suited just getting the meek unit fixed, replacing it with a new Meek compressor or looking at other options.... preferably not super-expensive options at that.

Is the new FMR leveling amp good on bass? What about an older Dbx unit? Any ideas?

Fab

I like the Symetrix 501 on bass. About $125 or so used. You can price repairs, but anything that's worth less than a couple hundred dollars now seems to be virtually disposable (unfortunately) because of repair costs.

scrubs said:
The RNLA is good on bass if you use a fairly long release time.

Is it actually "good" or is it something you just make work? I've got a couple RNC's and they work on bass but definately not that great. I've been looking for an excuse to pick up some RNLAs.

DBX 160x, xt, a

Around $200 on eBay and you will find them in many world class studios for bass, kick and the occasional vocal.

TexRoadkill said:
Is it actually "good" or is it something you just make work? I've got a couple RNC's and they work on bass but definately not that great. I've been looking for an excuse to pick up some RNLAs.

Actually, I rescind my previous comment. This weekend, I screwed around with it for 30 minutes and could not get it to not distort on any sustained bass note, regardless of the release setting. For shorter notes, it sounds pretty cool. Gives a nice punch. For slow songs, I would avoid it.

There is a blurb on the FMR site about how the RNC can distort bass guitar pretty easily.

War

Thanks for all the replies!

So, dbx 160 on bass sounds like a thumbs, up.....

But since I did like my Meek, I may also investigate the new Joemeek line - probably the cheapest channel strip, which they now call the ThreeQ.

I'll report back if I do go that route....

re: Bass compressor

I would recommend the symetrix 501. I tried the DBX 160xt but found that it sucked low end out of the E string too easily. I needed a compressor that could handle pop/slap stuff and the 501 does that well without losing the low end.

If you go for the 501 the one with the toggle switch for powering on/off is reportedly the best and it's the only one I've used myself. I am actually selling an extra one I have right now if you are interested, but the price is a bit higher than the one quoted above.

Also, FWIW I own the RNC and though I've used b4 on bass I wouldn't recommend it at all.

the vca things can be cool depending on the program material...i find that the dbx 161's i have are way too aggressive for legato stuff...not sure but the newer 160A/X?XT may do the same thing.

i just find it very helpful to have the A/R controls for bass. could be me.

the 1176 with the alatronics mod rules on bass...as it does on most everything...but try it on bass and whoa.

oddly enough - the behringer composer original model can rule as well. so i just bought one.

MIke

http://www.phoenixlightandsound.com/Audio/SkyBlueMind

Any of the mp3's in there used a 3630. Worked QUITE well enough in my opinion.

The original Behringer Composers sound very good on bass too.

The RNC is shit for anything low end. HIGHELY over-rated compressor overall. Just goes to show, put Neve's name on something and it doesn't matter if it is crap or not, it is gonna sell.

Anyway. I agree that the 160's are not particularily the best compressor for bass guitar. If it was all I had, then, well, I guess I would use it, but I wouldn't LIKE using EVER.

The 501 is a pretty snazzy choice too! A VERY under-rated compresssor!!!

1176 rules all though! Simply, that is the best compressor I have ever had the priviledge of running a bass track through!

Ford Van said:
1176 rules all though! Simply, that is the best compressor I have ever had the priviledge of running a bass track through!

I agree! I wish I could afford the hardware version! :o :o :o

--> has no good hardware compressors :(

Speaking of UAD..... :rolleyes: for some reason I don't usually care for the 1176LN on bass nearly as much as I like the Fairchild. Although the only things I really like the Fairchild on are bass and overheads.

Back