Best mic pre for a manley gold mic

If I were you I'd call up Manley and ask them. They'll quite possibly tell you to buy one of their own preamps, but they may offer some other suggestions as well.

I'm going out on a limb here but, maybe a Manley pre would be the right choice for a Manley mic. I don't know though. I second SonicAlbert's suggestion. Or get in touch with the folks at Mercenary and ask them what they think.

There are lots of great pre's to go with that mic. It really depends on what kind of stuff you are recording compared to how you want it to sound.

its for male vocals, i wanna transparency

xstatic said:
There are lots of great pre's to go with that mic. It really depends on what kind of stuff you are recording compared to how you want it to sound.

transparent??

GML 8302, Millennia, DACS CLArity, Gordon , DAV.......Davisound, Kuhnle..audio upgrades high speed preamp(though I am skeptical of Jim williams because EVERY SINGLE MOD he describes, whether it be dildos or head gaskets, he ALWAYS SAYS "um, well it is like after your ears pop on a plane." or "I use llama nutsack film caps for air and details"

or you could spend another 43,000.00 and get a half channel manley. :rolleyes:

My order of preference is

DAV/Gordon/DACS

I was gonna post this at another site but this'll do..... A mostly well-known piano artist here locally has set up shop in a studio I use from time to time....He's a Manley user...uh several mics...a LOT of pres and comps....

Anyway, after he set up his rig, the rep from PreSonus came through with an ADL600. I used it with my older U87 on male vocals and acoustic guitar and loved it and he( the well known pianist) bought it for use with HIS Manley mics on first listen.

Not saying it ranks with all that other stuff on the list, but this dude already has a bunch of Manley stuff and he apparently couldnt live without the ADL.

The Manley Gold is an already bright, transparent mic, so the SST-1 Origin may give you some high end taming choices the other pres don't. Also the Great River MP2 would work very well with the Manley Gold.

Back