api 312 (vintage) vs. 3124+ (new)

I've used both. I'd say most of the difference in sonics can be found in the 2520 opamps. The older ones were handmade, and, in some people's opinion, sound richer. But a lot of people use new 3124's and are perfectly happy. Plus you can run a lot of different opamps in a 3124.

There's some info on various opamps being used with a 3124 here. Not that you need to do this to get started - but just to let you know you have a lot of sonic options down the road if you want them.

there's also the difference in the transformers...at least on the older versions racked by BAE... original transformer or jensens was an option.

apparently the jensen cleans the sound up. i can believe it. the 312's i have are not too clean on the top...original transformers on em.

Mike

If you want to build your Own Opamps to use in your Preamp I have some schematics for a Class A/B Opamp that should work in any Unit that uses a standard 8 pin Opamp.....

Let me know and I"ll post the schematics.....

Cheers

Blue Groove said:
But how does that affect the sound (compared to the original)?

You're splitting hairs here. Have you ever used any API gear? Depending on which "original" you get there can be slight variations in the sound. API has an overall distinct sound and are recognisable during any model and any year. xformers and opamps are easy to swap, which is why API is a popular DIY project and why people often modify them.

BTW, API 312's use API transformers based on their AP2503 and have been manufactured by several different companies over the years.

Blue Groove, if you're not a "techy", I'd suggest getting a new unit.

Minion said:
If you want to build your Own Opamps to use in your Preamp I have some schematics for a Class A/B Opamp that should work in any Unit that uses a standard 8 pin Opamp.....

Let me know and I"ll post the schematics.....

Cheers

I would like to see this.

Here is the schematic, I also have some other Documentation if you would like it but you would have to PM me with your e-mail so I can send it to you as it is a PDF File.....

Cheers

Attachments

• SGA-SOA-1_PCB.gif
    SGA-SOA-1_PCB.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 393
Minion said:
Minion, have you ever used your opamps in API, John Hardy or other gear that uses 2520/990-style opamps? They're all 6 pin, BTW.

Dot said:
Minion, have you ever used your opamps in API, John Hardy or other gear that uses 2520/990-style opamps? They're all 6 pin, BTW.

I just would like to make this clear off the Bat.. "This is Not my Design" , I have nothing to do with this design I just have a relitivly large batch of Schematics for various Curcuits (Preamps,EQ"s Compressors, Ballanced Line Drivers ect) and this was a Curcuit I found on the Prodigy Pro forum...

There is more Info on it here:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10868

I have never used this design before But the designer says it will work in place of a 990 or a API 2520 and uses the same pinout and from the specs he Posted it has extremely good Performance....

There is a PCB design and much more info about at the link I left above....

Cheers

PS: If you look at the schematic you can see that is has 6 Pins, It has 2 Supply Pins and +/- Signal Inputs and an Output and Ground..... :)

"Blue Groove, if you're not a "techy", I'd suggest getting a new unit."

i have to say - with the amount of API style stuff on the market - i'd actually recommend buying something other than API.

I had a bad experience with them a couple months ago on my 550B. Their service department is really not customer service oriented. I wanted a quote before a job was done and they wouldn't do that...this is kind of SOP...an hour bench time and a quote if it's more than that. they wanted 110 an hour which is over market (usually 90 an hour) and they wanted to just send me the bill.

if i had a problem with my 312's - which i never have had -i could call BAE and get info over the phone for nuthin from a nice as pie staff. if the problem needed repair - they'd do it in a flash.

i dunno - there are better options in the "vintage" and "clone" markets. i dunno if this is due to API's change of ownership - but way thumbs down to them.

couple the 'better' tone of the older units with the service and it's kinda a no-brainer to not go new API.

Mike

There is nothing easier to DIY than 312 style pre's..I have a bunch now with different opamps and transformers...cleanest? Forssell's 992 opamp, Lundahl input and opamp labs output transformers....Vintage slewy, "middy" sound? API 2520 opamp with original transformers..superb tone? John Hardy 990c with Lundahl input and triad hs66 output..I can stuff and rack them for about 170$ a piece depending on what I use..why on earth would anyone would mess with prosumer junk is beyond me..read up..get yourself a soldering iron and HAVE FUN!

Ray

Back