All this talk about reverb...what about flange?

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
What would you say are some good rack units that produce quality flange, phase, other pyschedelic effects? Past or present. I kind of like the old school vibe in equipment, so I guess I should direct it toward the "classics".
Which one or ones would in your experience best produce these effects?

A flange is usually a digital delay in the 4-10ms region.

The Line6 Pod XT has some classic pedal sins for this.

Boss have a flanger pedal or a digital delay pedal which flanges.

A Roland digital delay like the SDE-1000 or SDE-3000 will enable you to flange.

Sometimes it's useful to be able to reverse the phase on the flanged signal to provide some cancellation with the original signal.

For phasing I'd suggest the MoogerFooger MF-103, and for ANALOG delay the MF-104Z.

These are stompboxes, but the parameters are controllable in realtime via either control voltages or expression pedals. They can also be rack-mounted, but keep in mind they take up 5 spaces, plus you need access to the I/O so at least another 2 spaces or so above them when they're racked.

The one bummer about the 104Z is that it only goes down to about 40ms or so of delay, so it won't do flanging or chorus. At about 40ms it does a nice slap though. But it does delay like nothing else you've heard, and with an expression pedal or oscillator into the "feedback" CV-in you can do pitch shifting, albeit not like an Eventide, but more of a momentary effect, because you're changing the amount of "effect" going through the feedback loop.

100% analog.

Then try out a CP-251 if you really wanna get crazy!!!!!

www.bigbriar.com

Want to go way back to vintage analoge flange... double up the track on two decks... and palm the reel...

I actually have an old red ROSS flanger which is pretty cool. I'm looking for rack gear, though. Kind of thinking about the PCM 80 or 81. I was looking at the 90/91 earlier, but would like to have some more effects if I'm going to drop that kind of $$$$. Something with good presets because I really hate going into the programming side. Flange, a Leslie simulator, chorus (and of course a mulit-effect will likely have reverbs as well)...things like that. Modern or vintage, but for use in my recording rack, not foot pedal effects.

Back