8 channel mic pres?

Magnet

So i am going to get some mic pres. I have been using my 32 input mackie vlz pro but just did a 50 track mix and the cumlitive effect of all those mackie pres got a bit smeared in the midrange. I am looking at a rack of 8 channels such as the True precision 8, Presonus m80, presonus digimax, Focusrite Platinum OctoPre etc.
Any other 8 channel units that i am missing please let me know.

For my 2 channel mic pre i am pretty sure i have decided on the Universal Audio 2 610 although i would be interested in your opinions on that choice as well. I do quite a bit of mastering and thought the stereo eq on the UA would be really nice in a mastering situation.
so for the moment i am set on a true precision 8 (approx $2300) and the UA 2 610 ($1600 new) unless you guys turn my head around with some pres i haven't even thought about.

thanks

magnet

That True Precision thing looks nice. I've been looking at this kind of thing , too. I hadn't found that one. I've been looking at the API 8MX2, which is similar in price. I'm pretty sure either of these is going to be a big step up from the Focusrite or Presonus. I've heard "They are ok, but....." about the octopre and presonus units.

Here is a link to check out the API.

API 8MX2 at Soundpure

They've got all kinds of drool-inducing gear, as does Mercenary.

Something else to think about- an API, Averill, or OAS rack, with mic pre modules. The rack is about $500, then you can add really nice pres with different characteristics for $5-600 apiece.

I use the Digimax LT for tracking most of my drums into my 002 rack. If you can figure out the discrepency between the metering on the LT and the levels in Pro Tools via ADAT, then your gonna be okay. And it is a pretty decent sounding pre. pretty transparent, and probably the cheapest of all you mentioned. Im finishing up tracking some drums and ill post them when im done. if youre interested.
Ive heard good things aobut the octopre as well.

OverlookFran said:
If you can figure out the discrepency between the metering on the LT and the levels in Pro Tools via ADAT.

0db on ANY preamp will almost never read 0db on the meter in protools or other recording software.

OverlookFran said:
after all these years, i didnt know that. do you know why this is the case?

i'm not exactly sure why, but i know it's been discussed before on these boards.

OverlookFran said:
after all these years, i didnt know that. do you know why this is the case?

It's because the meter on the preamp is typically calibrated to 0 dBVU = +4dBu. However, the software is gonna show you the digital standard 0 VU = 0 dBFS, which cannot be exceeded. The converters will vary in what dBu = 0 dBFS but you'll see anywhere from +12 to +24dBu.

Now the Digimax LT is an interesting case, because with internal converters you'd figure that the VU would be dBFS, but you'd be wrong, it's dBu, although the clip light is supposed to be +22dBu, which presumably is 0 dBFS, the manual doesn't say . . . now how is it that the first LED is -20dBu, the second is -10dBu, and the last (clip) is +22dBu is kind of odd too, but that's what the manual say. I should do a test on my unit & calibrate to another meter.

digimax LT and DIGI002

So i have been using the lightpipe adat out to the digi 002 from the digimax LT and getting clips all over the place. any ideas? which machine, why? i have checked all sorts of different settings on the samplerate and whatnot inside pro tools. I am at a lost,

Back