The 500 Series Gear

iownrocknroll

I'm going to take the plunge(in the next 2 months) to some hire quality gear.
I've been looking at going with a rack of 500 series gear.
Are there "lunch boxes" that support more then 6 units?

Idealy I would like 2 API pres and 2 API comps, and then still alot of room to expand.

thanks,

JM

hrmmm
that is a good point,
I would like to be able to move this box of goodness around.

it might be easier to carry two of them.

Is there any compatibility issues with using something other then the API lunch boxes?

API and BAE make ten space racks. Purple makes an 11 space rack. This is the way to go if you want to rack mount your modules. BAE also makes a 6 slot rack mount version if you only want six. The OSA 10 space rack can no longer be purchase separately. You must buy at least one OSA module to get their rack. Kind of cheesy if you ask me. The only compatibility issue I know of is that you can't use a Buzz Elixir in the A-Designs two space rack. The transformers in the elixir and the rack create a hum that you can't get rid of.

Chandler recommends using its own power supply for the Germanium 500 unit.

Also, some 500 series units draw significantly more power than others (e.g. Some Chandler and Buzz Audio units). This may be an issue with older API lunchboxes. API improved the power supply in their lunchboxes around 2006-2007 and the new boxes don't have that issue. If you are using an older API lunchbox, you should make sure that the requirements of your 500 units don't exceed the box's supply.

thanks guys!

I'm stoked be making this jump, I just love the sound of the API pres

Are the compressors just as cool?

The API 525 is a somewhat different sounding comp. Not necessarily everyone's favorite, although I have one and like it. It is not as much of an industry "standard" as the API 512 pre. If you are thinking about a 525, I'd try before buying if possible. You might also want to check out the Purple Action comp.

i have used the api 2500 Waves plugin comp.

it can do some cool stuff, I was thinking about 2 512 and 2 of the api comps.

then possibly moving onto 2 five fish studio pres

then who know knows what else.

I'd like to replace the 2 berhinger pres/comps I have and maybe start replacing the factory pres in my digi 003 with the lunchbox as well

I've owned or still own several 500 series comps. I've used the Buzz Essence, the Purple Action, the Alta moda AM-10, The Pico, and the Pete's Place BAC 500. BY FAR my favorite of all of them is the Pete's Place BAC. It's extremely versatile. It's fantastic on bass, vocals, and really excels on acoustic guitars. I've also used it on electric guitars. There's nothing I've tried it on that didn't sound great.

The Buzz Essence is a fantastic comp. It's pretty clean, but does add a little bit of sweet honey sheen to the tracks. Sounds great and it has high and low filters on it. Definitely my second favorite. Really good on vocals and bass.

The Purple Action was by far my LEAST FAVORITE. Never could get it to sound really good on anything. The knobs are small and difficult to turn. The meters are next to useless. I sold it pretty quickly.

The Pico is by far the cleanest of the bunch. What goes in, comes out sounding the same, just smoother. It has Peak and RMS modes too.

The AM-10 is very tweak intensive. Lots of settings with limiter and comp. It is not a set it and forget it kind of comp. The limiter function is pretty useful. I sometimes use it in front of the BAC. It also has a wet/dry mix option which is also useful.

Do yourself a favor though and try the Pete's Place BAC. It's a fabulous piece of equipment. A couple of those, and really, you wouldn't need much else.

Interesting, I'll have to check out the Pete's Place comp. Looks like another great Montessi venture.

I'll agree that the Purple Action isn't going to be for everyone. I've tried it (I don't own it) and it is certainly a color comp. Whether you like what it does is of course a fair question. It is a bit twitchy to adjust, but I thought it worked pretty well for rock drums and guitars. Depending what your intended use is, it might work for you, or not. Not my choice for vocals. I use a Drawmer 1968 or a Peavey VC/L-2 for that. If you are looking for a good all around comp in the 500 format, the Essence would be a very good choice (and only because I haven't tried the Pete's Place comp and can't opine on it).

Interesting, I'll have to check out the Pete's Place comp. Looks like another great Montessi venture.

I'll agree that the Purple Action isn't going to be for everyone. I've tried it (I don't own it) and it is certainly a color comp. Whether you like what it does is of course a fair question. It is a bit twitchy to adjust, but I thought it worked pretty well for rock drums and guitars. Depending what your intended use is, it might work for you, or not. Not my choice for vocals. I use a Drawmer 1968 or a Peavey VC/L-2 for that. If you are looking for a good all around comp in the 500 format, the Essence would be a very good choice (and only because I haven't tried the Pete's Place comp and can't opine on it).
You would be doing yourself a favor. It's rapidly becoming my favorite on everything. Send Lisa Montessi a message over at gearslutz. They had an outrageously good introductory price offer on the first couple of batches. Don't know if you can still get it, but she's a sweet gal. Very easy to deal with. Plus, she told me if I didn't like it, just send it back in a week. I'm sure she knew I'd love it, but still, that's pretty nice to offer a chance to return it.

You would be doing yourself a favor. It's rapidly becoming my favorite on everything. Send Lisa Montessi a message over at gearslutz. They had an outrageously good introductory price offer on the first couple of batches. Don't know if you can still get it, but she's a sweet gal. Very easy to deal with. Plus, she told me if I didn't like it, just send it back in a week. I'm sure she knew I'd love it, but still, that's pretty nice to offer a chance to return it.

Must have missed that deal. I got a deal on a P-1 and a Red through GS when Peter first introduced them a couple years ago. They make nice stuff. I wonder why it didn't come out through A-Designs?

Must have missed that deal. I got a deal on a P-1 and a Red through GS when Peter first introduced them a couple years ago. They make nice stuff. I wonder why it didn't come out through A-Designs?
I think because it was designed by Brad Avenson (hence the name BAC, Brad Avenson Compressor). He's a great designer, but doesn't work for A-Designs that I know of. I'm guessing they got his new design going by infusing some capital, and created a new company name. Just guessing, really. It has the exact same knobs as the A-Designs EM-PEQ.

Back