2 XLR Pre Amp with USB

If the quad had 4xlrs I would definitely buy it. The octa has 8 and the duo2. It is strange they didn't put 4 on the quad, since it is called QUAD and that means 4! I think 8 is more than I need, and 2 is iffy. I really would like 4. The Steinberg looks interesting, but I read they put a proprietary dongle on it that makes it annoying to install on various pcs.

I forgot about the MOTU 4pre. I looked at it before I bought my art mp tube. I wish I bought it, in retrospect. Maybe that is the one. I like how the XLRs are in the back, too, since I work mainly from an old wooden desk. The XLR in the front would be an eyesore.

Do you think I should keep the Art Tube just for when I want a tube sound? I doubt I could get much for it so maybe it would have a place as a 1 input tube pre. Because from what I understand these other audio interfaces are all solid state.

M-AUDIO - M-Track Quad - Four-Channel Audio + MIDI USB Interface

M-A don't get much of a mention these days and I am still hissed off with their split/merger/buggering about but I have had 3 2496 cards and Fast track pro and they are fine, always had great, up to date drivers.

But if top draw drivers and stability are your bag you will do no better than the KA6 and a pre amp or mixer for the other two mics. Unless of course you save for RME!

Dave.

Sounds like some of the guys have already pointed you in the right direction. You probably want an audio interface. I use a Roland Duo-Capture EX with Sonar X3. A word of caution though (cause I wasted some time and money on this when I started out), check which interfaces are compatible with your DAW. Not all interfaces are created equally. The pros at your local music store should be able to tell you, or there's probably something in the FAQ for your DAW's website. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you need help tracking it down. I'd be glad to be of assistance.

-Colin

Sounds like some of the guys have already pointed you in the right direction. You probably want an audio interface. I use a Roland Duo-Capture EX with Sonar X3. A word of caution though (cause I wasted some time and money on this when I started out), check which interfaces are compatible with your DAW. Not all interfaces are created equally. The pros at your local music store should be able to tell you, or there's probably something in the FAQ for your DAW's website. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you need help tracking it down. I'd be glad to be of assistance.

-Colin

Not sure I understand your concern there Colin?
In addition to the cards and the ftpro I have had about 6 different interfaces through my hands in the last 6 years or so and have downloaded demos of all the major (and some minor!) DAWs except PT and stuff just for macs. I have never had any trouble getting any hardware to work with any software. Can you give an example of such a problem?

Dave.

Can I ask why designers put the xlrs in the front of these units? I have it on a desk and want the xlrs to be hidden/go behind the desk. The front design is very intrusive in terms of aesthetics. If it's because they want midi on the back, I'd rather have midi on the front since I use it much less (do most people use midi more than xlrs?). Just confused over this...

Can I ask why designers put the xlrs in the front of these units? I have it on a desk and want the xlrs to be hidden/go behind the desk. The front design is very intrusive in terms of aesthetics. If it's because they want midi on the back, I'd rather have midi on the front since I use it much less (do most people use midi more than xlrs?). Just confused over this...

I don't leave my mics plugged in all the time (especially condensers). Midi, however, is usually plug in and leave (if you use it at all).

I don't leave my mics plugged in all the time (especially condensers). Midi, however, is usually plug in and leave (if you use it at all).

Gotcha.

I don't leave them plugged in, either, but I leave the male end plugged into the back and just connect the female end when ready to use. I like it this because the cables sit behind my desk and aren't an eyesore like if they're on the front. I don't use midi at all because the midi controller I use is usb powered -- this is more and more common and honestly I can't see ever using the midi in/out. I guess a lot of people do since they're still on all the interfaces.

Gotcha.

I don't leave them plugged in, either, but I leave the male end plugged into the back and just connect the female end when ready to use. I like it this because the cables sit behind my desk and aren't an eyesore like if they're on the front. I don't use midi at all because the midi controller I use is usb powered -- this is more and more common and honestly I can't see ever using the midi in/out. I guess a lot of people do since they're still on all the interfaces.

BTW, if you don't need midi, the Scarlet 2i2 is a great option (personally, I'd still go with the KA6) :D

It largely comes down to cost and if that seems like I am saying designers are "cheap" I am not.

Take my KA6. It has a front and back elevation of 160x40mm and is built like a BSH. In that space they manage to put a great deal of connectivity and control and yet give you enough space around that for even quite podgy pinkies. The front XLR (as with virtually all modern AIs) use the "combo" XLR socket so that they triple as mic, line and instrument input and it would be MOST inconvenient to have your guitar input at the back! So, to have XLR on the back would mean the case would have to be at least 65mm longer (unless you lose some of the rear socketry ?) THEN! you would have to put two extra jacks on the front for instrument input . Now, do you run line inputs 1&2 via the front jacks or rear XLRs? The designers will be damned whichever way they jump! They could of course fit two EXTRA TRS jacks on the back for line +switch??!!

You see where this is going? Bigger case, more connectors. The KA6 sells here at a smell under £200 and most AIs with similar facilities are about the same (tho' they do not have the NIs so, so solid drivers nor its super low latency AFAICT). Joe Pub' will not pay much over market "norms".

My Focusrite 8i6 is a much bigger unit than the KA6 for exactly the same connectivity and there is a lot of wasted space on the rear panel. I am not sure why it is so much bigger? Maybe it has some DSP function in there I don't yet know about? Get me not wrong, the 8i6 is a great bit of kit and I was lucky to get one for 100quid but the case IS pressed steel as against the very elegant extrusion of the K!

Just found the current 6i6 is £11.00 more money than the KA6 for the same connectivity but the 6i6 does have two, independent headphone outs. If those can be set for a different "mix" that is well worth the 11 quid to some people.
Dave.

Last edited:
I have just had a more in depth look at the 6i6 and the headphone out can indeed it seems be configured separately for artist and "engineer". I would therefore say, if all else is equal, the 6i6 is a better buy for the home jockey who might want to jam with mates than the KA6.

If you are a soloist and especially need the lowest possible latency go NI. You can always buy a headphone amp!

I really do not know why NI do not follow up on the very successful KA6 with a bigger unit? 4 mic ins, 4 line ins and ADAT +S/PDIF and MIDI . If they could keep the same blindingly fast drivers and keep it under £350 I bet hot cakes would not be in it?

Dave.

Balance/ has all it's connections in the back, and comes with Reason Essentials.

Pretty, I'll give you that but no MIDI or SPDIF that I can see. Only two outputs and they are very coy about how much that lack (compared to the 8i6 and KA6) will cost you.

Dave.

May not be the best options for the buck interface on the market, but it is well spec'd and it has all it's connections in the back. I'm personally going with the KA6...

That design is genius.

Anyone know if the drivers are solid?
This...

Propellerhead Balance

Does not give it a bump free ride by any means. Headphone output is weak and there seems to be some level mismatching. Does not bode well for QC effort?

Mentions value for money is poor and sound quality whilst good, is not up to the RME (and RME would not be classed as the pinnacle of fi!)

No mention of latency and I would read into that that it was not that good!

Really tight arsed not to fit MIDI and at least ADAT input. As the review says, nowhere to go for studio expansion.

Like some other "software hardware" you are paying for indifferent hardware to get "niche" software IMHO.

Dave.

Figures. :(

I guess I will stick with my 1xlr art pre for now. It sounds fine, and I might as well use it while waiting for a few interface that matches what I need. I do have a tascam 244 for times I want to record more than 1 track at a time. It doesn't have phantom power, though. But I could probably use the art to provide that for 1 track, right? So I'd have 1 condenser...not ideal, but I hate the idea of buying a unit that doesn't have what I want.

I guess the other option is moding my desk so I can hide the unit underneath. I really hate the front xlr look and clutter (this is probably OCD, but it is what it is, as they say).

"I guess the other option is moding my desk so I can hide the unit underneath. I really hate the front xlr look and clutter (this is probably OCD, but it is what it is, as they say). "

Ah! Now! If you go for the NI KA6 you can feed your pre amp into the R.E.A.R! Balanced jack inputs, keeping the front of the AI all spikky -panny for you.

You would of course have the front XLRs available should you wish to run a 3rd or 4th mic, guitar, whatever....Whipping them out pronto when finished of course! Must not "un-karma" the feng shui!

Dave.

"I guess the other option is moding my desk so I can hide the unit underneath. I really hate the front xlr look and clutter (this is probably OCD, but it is what it is, as they say). "

Ah! Now! If you go for the NI KA6 you can feed your pre amp into the R.E.A.R! Balanced jack inputs, keeping the front of the AI all spikky -panny for you.

You would of course have the front XLRs available should you wish to run a 3rd or 4th mic, guitar, whatever....Whipping them out pronto when finished of course! Must not "un-karma" the feng shui!

Dave.

:) Ohm...Ohm!

Back