2 rack questions

ditnoj

Howdy!

I inherited an Symetrix 488 dyna squeeze 8/in compressor. all I see
are threshold & attack knobs for each channel. Does anyone know the ratio on it?

ALSO...

Can someone tell me what the following is on a Compressor/Limiter with gate:

Hard knee/soft knee
Peak/RMS

A special no-prize to the one who explains!!
D out ITNOJ

Hard knee/Soft knee (to the groin?). . .
Say you've gotcher threshold set at -12dB and yer ratio at 4:1. If yer compressor is set to hard knee, it'll start squashing immediately at 4:1 as soon as the signal being fed into it goes over -12dB, right? But if it's set to soft knee, the ratio will just kinda ramp up to 4:1 as the signal goes past the threshold. It's like a gentler (and maybe less audible) response curve.
You'd probably only hear a difference if the signal is bouncing around a lot above and below the threshold. If you're really squashing something, I don't think it matters.

Peak/RMS . . .
Might refer to how the compressor reacts to the loudness of the signal. Peaks are the loudest points in a given piece of audio, including transients. RMS (don't remember what it stands for) is like the average or overall volume.
Maybe this is sort of an erzats ratio switch on that compressor, where the "Peak" setting would give a higher ratio for limiting loud transients and such. "RMS" would be a lower ratio for yer basic smoothing out compression. I don't know. Just talkin' out my arse, here.

So, where's my no-prize? Can you send it Non-Ex??

Chepney

Ah-hah!
So Hard knee is like when you get kneed hard in the groin and you respond quicker!

And just like any Marvel Mag, the no-prize is in the mail!

D out ITNOJ

Back