Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wharfedale replacement tweeter...

composition4 is offline Newbie

Wharfedale replacement tweeter...

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all, I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2A's, and am looking at replacing the tweeters as they rattle etc (have done since day 1). Warranty is not an option because I've had the units for a year or so.

The wharfedale dealers over here in Australia have quoted me $90 for the pair of tweeters, which is ridiculous for a cheap pair of neodyniums.

I'm going to find my own tweeters (unless someone can sell me some genuine for cheaper?? ... the only problem is I'm not sure of the impedance of the units. I know that I can measure this with a multimeter, but I'm away for a few days and don't have them with me..

Does anyone happen to know? Would be grateful for your help.

Thanks muchly,
    Jonathan

travelin travis is offline Been Here, Posted That
    my wharf's have a 5 year warranty. it might be different where you're at.

Gidge is offline Lapdance Test Dummy
    i have no help, just wanna share my experience.....

I have a pair of Tannoy Proto-J's that I paid $175 pair (87.50 a piece) and a tweeter for one is about $40- $50 including shipping. It is under warranty but i have to pay shipping on the whole monitor or bring it to the nearest authorized factory repair center 75 miles away which would make 2 trips cost me over $30 in gas and about 4 hours of my time.

my point is warranties suck.

and using a different tweeter MAY alter the sound in a very bad way......

there is a 5 year factory warranty as Travis pointed out...your best bet is to find the closest factory authorized service center there and get it repaired under warranty......

travelin travis is offline Been Here, Posted That
    i thought i had a problem with one of my monitor's woofers (turned out to be my sound card). i called up iagamerica (wharfedale rep) and they mailed me a new woofer without the least bit of runaround. excellent customer service in my experience. when i figured out that the problem was with the sound card, i found m-audio's service to be equally excellent.

Minion is offline Blow Me !!!
    Well the Tweeter should be the same impedance as the woofer (2,4 or 8 Ohms) and it should tell you the Speaker impedance in the Specs in the Manual.....

I suggest that if you replace the tweeter with a "Non Warfdale" part that you change the tweeters in both Speakers so if there is a Change in the sound it affects both speakers equally.....

Also if you get a Non warfdale part make sure it isn"t a "Pezieo" tweeter as they suck badly.....
    You should be able to use any Neodynium Tweeter with the same Impedance and Power rateing as your present speakers...You could even get ones that are Higher quality and possibly increase the clarity and dynamic range of your High end......

Cheers

PS: You bad tweeters might have a Model number on them that you can look for on the net to find a replacement.....Just a Thought!!
    War is just a word used to hide the nakedness of their killing ......

Kwai Chang Caine
    (Kung Fu)

chazba is offline terminally hip
    Here is a possible source. Probably not listed as warfedale, but you may be able to match by description and dimensions.
    www.mcminone.com

chazba

SRR
    SRR is offline Three Thousand and Counting
    Everywhere a computer is plugged in and operating.
    Well the Tweeter should be the same impedance as the woofer (2,4 or 8 Ohms) and it should tell you the Speaker impedance in the Specs in the Manual.....
    In a bi-amped "active" speaker the impedences doesn't have to be matched, heck in a passive speaker they don't either, dB output does. He needs a tweeter that has the same sensitivity for a given load. Can't really put in a 92dB 1w/1m tweeter when specs might call for a 96dB 1w/1m tweeter, his highs would be 4dB down from the manufacturer specs. I don't know what the specs are on the Wharfedale tweeters, but you should match all specs as closely as possible or just pay the piper and get the real things.

BTW, you can't find the nominal impedence with a multi-meter, that would just be a measure of resistence.
    In a letter to his daughter, the MCP expressed unhappiness over the eagle as the symbol of America, he wanted the Tron guy.

Equipment

G.F.C.G. # 000 035

Quote Originally Posted by SRR
    In a bi-amped "active" speaker the impedences doesn't have to be matched, heck in a passive speaker they don't either, dB output does. He needs a tweeter that has the same sensitivity for a given load. Can't really put in a 92dB 1w/1m tweeter when specs might call for a 96dB 1w/1m tweeter, his highs would be 4dB down from the manufacturer specs. I don't know what the specs are on the Wharfedale tweeters, but you should match all specs as closely as possible or just pay the piper and get the real things.

BTW, you can't find the nominal impedence with a multi-meter, that would just be a measure of resistence.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SRR again."

You just saved me alot of trouble......

SRR
    SRR is offline Three Thousand and Counting
    Everywhere a computer is plugged in and operating.
    I should have said in a passive design they don't always match impedences, because the corssover can take care of that. But if you have 8 Ohm woofer and a 8 Ohm tweeter in a passive design, you should try to match that up, as your crossover point will change if you change the imepedence to much. But seeing that impedence varies with frequency, a 4 Ohm tweeter could work where a 8 Ohm is spec'd, but you would need impedence plots. Needless to say, get the real thing if you can, otherwise match as much as you can, and hope for the best.
    In a letter to his daughter, the MCP expressed unhappiness over the eagle as the symbol of America, he wanted the Tron guy.

Equipment

G.F.C.G. # 000 035

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information