Suggestions for audio interface with no preamps and with great A/D & D/A conversion?

Atmarama

Suggestions for audio interface with no preamps and with great A/D & D/A conversion?

Hey folks, I'm looking at upgrading my present audio interface. I have been using a Focusrite 2i2 usb into a laptop, but have recently got hold of a FMR RNP as well as a M-Audio DMP3 preamps. So I am looking at buying a new audio interface to use the preamps with.

I record mostly acoustic based stuff that is layered up 1 or 2 tracks at a time, so a 2 - 4 input interface should be sufficient. But with most channels without preamps so I can use the external pres.

I would also like to have the option of 8 channels for band/live recordings, but that may be a bit out of my budget for now...

Oh yes, it doesn't neccesarily need to be a usb interface! Any suggestions??

Last edited:
Bang-for-the-buck, it's hard to go wrong with a lot of the MOTU stuff. The 896MkIII for example. FW, USB, 8 preamps (if you should want or need them), plenty of line-level inputs, reasonable conversion & clocking, under $1k.

Any thoughts on the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 usb interface? It has 2 preamps and 6 TRS inputs without preamps that I could use my external preamps on. How is the D/A & A/D conversion on these?

It's great. I've had one for quite some time now and it has never let me down once. The downside is it only has 2 jack outputs in addition to the headphone out, so you can't really use anything else than a pair of monitors unless you've got some SPDIF equipment.

Back