pop-filters

amonaurus

Hi,
I want to get myself a pop filter because I often have explosive sounds or ssssss sounds in my recordings.I have the choice between these two:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...64-7354514?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=11091801

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ding=UTF8&m=AIMZUKBRH6H15&v=glance&n=11091801

For those who dont want to click links,which is understandable,the first one is CAD EPF-15A 6-Inch Flexible Pop Filter
and the second one a Nady metal pop filter.

So my question what exactly is the difference between metal and nylon pop filters?
Which one would you recommend?

I know Im annoying some of you because they are both very cheap ones,but I dont have the money at the moment and yeah if I want to make music I should be able to put some money into it and its true but hey at least I have a shure pg 58 microphone which isnt the worst as far as I know plus a wise man said once hed rather take a demo with bad quality but good lyrics and nice vocals then a premium quality demo that lacks in both.
So would these pop filters make any difference at all?

thanks for any replies theyre very appreciated

I don't know how anyone else feels about pop filters...but personally I'd get a Music Accessories MA-SS-B...it's about 45 bucks..and It works fine for me..gets rid of all the pops and hisses...

thanks but that wasnt the only reason why I want a pop filter,its also that its easier to keep always the same distance to the microphone if you have one(in my case now because I have a little problem with that),because you just cant get closer or better said you will recognize it early enough plus the mic doesnt always get spitted on and thats why I tend to the metal one because its easy to clean.And correct me if Im wrong but I think it makes the whole vocal a little clearer because it filters all these unwanted sounds like breathing or spittle sounds out of it and at last I often read that preventig stuff like that from getting recorded is a better solution then trying to filter it out afterwards.But dont get me wrong I dont want to indicate that you do it wrong,because its the end result that counts. :)

wow, maybe I missed it but I don't actually see anybody answering his real question. From my experience I own one of those cheapo nylon flexible pop filters and it works great for female vocals (all I've tried it on). I generally don't think the metal ones are suitable for most vocal types, and from what I understand they don't filter out as much of the bad stuff and do filter out some of the good stuff. However the metal ones may be better for a real screamer, if you get my drift...

Go with the cheapo nylon filter - it'll do what you want and has a decent stand mount as well.

Cheers!

hey thank you at least one real reply,I went with the nylon filter,found a cheap one at ebay.Its supposed to be good quality but I will see that when I get it next week.If its good Im going to post the link in here because there were 15 left and maybe some of you want a new one.

Elton Bear said:
Coat hangar + Pair of tights = Popshield.

i mianaged to make one out of an old TV aerial (y'know, one of the circular ones?) with a tight pulled over it. looks a Lot better. and better story behind it... "remember that old TV? do you know why it doesn't work? *mischievous grin*"

:P

Andy

I prefer the sexy black nylons, and while you're singing, just close your eyes and remember how you obtained those sexy black nylons.....I better stop for now....I'll be back later!

My first one was made from a round cloth frame I bought from Walmarts crafts area. I don't know what they call them. It's basically two wood rings. One fits inside of the other, and then you tighten the outer one over the inner one. I put a piece of panty hose in it. It ain't pro, but it works. I finally got the metal one though.

Just go down to guitar center and buy their cheapest one. Pop filters don't actually filter out any sound (except maybe diffuse a bit of high end). They just disperse the air enough so you don't bottom out the mic capsule.

not to hi jack but

does any body know where to buy the screen mesh that covers a mic.

I just finished makeing a ribbon mic and I need some screen to cover it with

I have an old speaker grill from a car stereo but its not enough

thank you

That two-wooden-hoops thing is an embroidery or needlepoint frame. They are generally used for stretching a piece of cloth out flat so you can do fine needle & thread work. If you have the right material you could use one of these to create a pop filter pretty easy... however, as per some of the previous recomendations, I purchased two of the cheap pop filters they sell at Guitar Center for dirt cheap and they work great. Plus, they come with the proper stand mounting bracket and gooseneck arm. Just seems like a more cost effective... you will need to be careful with the mesh screen though, it does feel a little fragile.

Back