Mackie TH12 Thump speakers?

mjbphotos

Anyone with direct experience with these PA speakers?
Looks like Mackie have come out wiht a new line of Thumps, so the price on these has come down to $200 (previously $269 each was lowest).

Needs - not high volume, but need clear sound for mostly acoustic guitar/vocals. Occasionally could have bass plus other instruments, but again, not at loud volume.

I had been aiming towards the Alto T-series 10" as they are purportedly very clear sound and can usually be had used for $200.

Most 12" PA speakers are not overly confident with low bass, and are best coupled with a sub if you want really deep.

I expect the Mackie Thumps will be fine.

Maybe you could also consider 12 inch active speakers from EV, Db Technologies and QSC.

I've had direct experience with the 15" Thumps when they still were called Tapco. I think they're the same speaker though ... they just changed the badge to increase sales.
But Mackie owned the Tapco name so they were always low-line Mackies.

Anyways ...... they sounded very good at low volumes which is what you're saying you need.
A band I did a few hired gun gigs with used them. Two of them ..... at low volumes they sounded great ...... pretty much as soon as you got to moderate volumes (with a drumber .... and 4 lamebrained acoustic guitars thru it .... :eek: ) you started seeing the peak light go off and it started sounding strained.

If your requirements are what you described then they would do all right I thinb.

Personally I'm looking for some cheapies for the same purpose and I'm seriously considering Carvin.

The least expensive Carvins (PM12A, I think) are $279 each. The ones mentioned by Gecko, double (or more) the Thumps. I'm not jumping on any buys at this point, as I don't really need them, just want them to complete my live set up. If I had the cash, it would be QSC - played through a single 15" this past weekend and sound was awesomely clear.

yeah, those QSC's are great ..... the new lightweight EONs from JBL are awesome too.

"All you need is cash .... dum dee da ..... dun dun dun .... all you need is cash ....

Needs - not high volume, but need clear sound for mostly acoustic guitar/vocals. Occasionally could have bass plus other instruments, but again, not at loud volume.

mostly acoustic and vocals is one thing.
dropping a bass in there is different need, imo.

I was asking the gang here for help awhile back, and once I clarified it was only vocals needs, the whole PA speaker thing changed and 10" and all that was fine. Its another world, and cheaper $. The sons band has done a fairly large quantity of gigs over the past years with small vocal only, pa speakers, no problem. small peavy speakers and a carver amp...simple and works great.

the bigger venues already have everything and mic the entire band. the super huge hanging pa and under the stage gigantic subs....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (damn those sound good)

As I recall being told, if you keep it vocals only, you greatly reduce the workload.
for those times you want more bass is to add another bass cabinet or bass amp/cab instead.

although, Im kind of guessing exactly what gig you're doing? Bars and House party's or Church venues?

ADD: In hindsight, I wish we would have spent the hundred or so extra and got the JBL EON Lt. Bob recommended. Over 2-3 yrs and counting, $200 more doesnt mean anything, and if you sell someday, the JBL EON has good resale. (try selliong some used PEavey speakers with a old Carver (who?) amp.)

Back