Hybrid/Digital Mixer or Control Surface?

fuzzsniffvoyage

I want to get something with real faders for mixing. I like the idea of an old school mixing board, but want the ability to control my DAW. I also don't want to spend a shit ton of money.

I've seen several options, the Tascam DM3200 or 4800 the PreSonus digital mixer and the Behringer X32, are all in my price range (or very close the DM 4800 is a bit high, but I've seen them on evil bay at reasonable prices) So I'm setting my budget at around 4k.

Does any one here own or use these models?

Also, how would you rank the meter bridge? Is it a necessity or just a bunch of pretty lights?

Or I could go with the Mackie control surface.

I do record acoustic drums, 7 or 8 mics, and guitars (3mics), bass (1mic & D.I.) and vocals(1 mic). A 16 channel would suffice.

Suggestions?

I'm using a Tascam US-1800 which has all the ins I need. And Sonar X3 Daw.

not sure if you want to stay with a digital board, I just got a behringer SX4882. So far I love it, never been a big fan of Behringer in the past but this console is pretty sweet. has loads of routing option as well as a "B" mix for each of the 24 channels for a total of 48 inputs. it has 8 subgroups, 2 headphone busses, and a built in talk back channel. Also has a direct out for each channel and group. Thanks

not sure if you want to stay with a digital board, I just got a behringer SX4882. So far I love it, never been a big fan of Behringer in the past but this console is pretty sweet. has loads of routing option as well as a "B" mix for each of the 24 channels for a total of 48 inputs. it has 8 subgroups, 2 headphone busses, and a built in talk back channel. Also has a direct out for each channel and group. Thanks

I haven't researched using an analog board with a computer interface and daw, I definitely want to stay "IN the Box" because plug ins are easy and cheaper than outboard gear, and recording to hard drive.

Got ya, I am a old analog FOH guy so I still like knobs. LOL I have been thinking of getting a DAW for mixdown and mastering

Back