Headphones to Buy

luizfvpereira

Hello guys

I'm an authentic noob in what concerns Headphones. I can understand differences when hearing with different headphones however I don't understand that just by reading the specifications.
So I come to ask you (because you probably know a lot more than me on this subject) some headphones you would suggest for the following:

- Hear what sound a microphone is producing (something like a monitor but in headphone).
- Hear music, final mixing and mastering results and also music just for relax :)
- Hear me playing the piano

The only aspect I want is to not go very expensive on them... Around 120$ tops.

Thank you for the attention.
Luís Pereira.

I have a pair of Shure SRH840s that I like a lot. Though I do sometimes use them for mixing, please know that mixing and mastering with headphones is a really bad idea and you should use monitors (I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8s for that purpose). The phones have a nice low end, non-shrill high-end and solid middle. I find they have a good tone and don't color the music -- makes them good for listening to music.

Monitors over Headphones then?
I was aiming for the headphones because, sadly, I don't have any room with sound isolation... Isn't that going to be a problem?

Monitors over Headphones then?
I was aiming for the headphones because, sadly, I don't have any room with sound isolation... Isn't that going to be a problem?
A properly-treated room is, of course, preferable. However, a good set of near-fields will be a vast improvement over headphones for mixing almost anywhere you use them. The room in which I mix isn't sound-treated, but the difference between the mixes I used to do with headphones only and what I can do now with the Rokits is dramatic.

I like the Audio Technica ATH m50. They can be found around that price. Sound good, rugged, repairable. We used to use Sony's at our studio but for tracking they
blew too frequently. I'm not a fan of mixing on phones, so I can't sat how there would translate for that use.
Brad

I like the Audio Technica ATH m50. They can be found around that price. Sound good, rugged, repairable.

These are what I use, mostly for tracking and some mixing (usually turn on the monitors for more intricate parts/final steps). Awesome headphones for the price, and really I could spend hundreds more on a 'better' pair but I don't think I would notice or need them. Got mine for under $200. I use a Rolls preamp, and I don't think they would sound as good without. Having a preamp is key.

In the $100-ish range my prior headphones were adequate (although not ideal for any serious home recording)... Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. They're a bit on the muddy and bass heavy side.

You can get something like the Shure SRH440 which offers a flat response, but if you expect to listen to other music causaly I don't think you'll like these. I had them for an hour then sent them back, sounded cheap to my ears. The bass and highs were almost not there at all. I'd rather have a pair of headphones that color the sound richly and predictibly than something that sounds like an AM radio.

Just another member's $0.02 There's lot of info and options (and opinions) out there.

Last edited:
I'm using AKG K-271 MKII. Very good phones for playing, recording and creating sounds that are somewhere in the ballpark. Not for mixing, or crafting the sounds to the final stage. Monitors for that.

I love my AT M50's. Very comfortable even when worn for hours and more importantly is they are very accurate

I have Shure SRH-440s. They are actually a nice sound and comfortable but heck, the damned things fall apart. After just one year the cushions are flaking and had to professionally repair the wiring. At the moment they are in mono, and that is sad as the price wasn't cheap.

I'll plus one on the ATH-M50's.

Also, FWIW, Audio Technica has just redesigned their whole line up of Pro Headphones: Link

The pretty much based them all on the ATH-M50's and added a removable cable to some of the models. I tried them out at NAMM and they all sounded pretty sweet.

The prices range down to $50 for the lowest model.

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 201 headphones for a really long time. They have decent sound and isolation, and they sell for $30 on Musician's Friend. They are not the highest quality headphones but they are super durable, I've gone through about 3 or 4 other sets of headphones since I bought the Sennheisers and they've all developed problems over time (usually the connections). I agree with Ptravel though, headphones should only be for tracking and listening, not for mixing...

its common not to have a sound proofed /isolated room.
headphones are a must but something for monitoring will be needed, even if its at a lower volume.

ive recently had a few sets of headphones and they are all so different, I have been using some Yamahha rh5ma because they were in between the SONY7506 and some AKG $20 ones...in a small room/closet I was trying some small speakers and using lower volume, the other room is alrger and use KRK V6 or YSM1P in there, the KRKV6 were too much for this small room.

Even a set of Pc speakers is better than nothing, you'll see a lot of those as peoples "cheap set", the Auratones/NS10's of today. imo.

I have ATH M50s, AKG 702s, and 6 pairs of AKG 240s, 1 dt 770 Beyerdynamic, and 1 DT880. Plus one more which would actually be my choice for mixing if I had to which is Yamaha HS10 i think is the model. Not the most forgiving, but accurate and not hyped!! Very important if u are considering mixing with HPs. I like the ATHM50 for playing with digital piano or guitar etc...but the Yamaha has an another advantage to pretty much all the others, which is their resistance is very low and the volume and sound stage is great even with low level signals such as iPods, iPads, and digital keys for example. my others work for example with keys, but with both Yamaha P120 and a new NORD stage 2 the volume out of HO jacks at max is just barely enough volume. Most of the other I have are for use with a dedicated HP amp, and not versatile. All probably have a less fatiguing sound than the Yamahas, but for the reasons I state above, they are probably my first choice in terms of covering your stated needs. But second choice might be the M50 but their a bit hyped, but again work with keys and low level signal and sound more pleasing and warm.

As stated by others, monitors for monitoring, and HP as mix reference, both the M50 and Yamahas are closed back CUPS, a design more for tracking. HP Listening, yes, but my listening HP are not suitable for main mix monitoring but very useful as reference in my opinion. I have a hyped pair of audiophile HPs from tube amp, so sweet sounding but not accurate for mixing.

When looking at specs, there's one that stands out. Yes, they should be transparent, accurate, and having low resistance is a nice feature. But what I look for first is noise dampening. When I'm listening to cans, my primary drive is to hear what's being put in the cans, not what's going on in the room. Some nice -19db or better HPs can make the world of difference when you're trying to get that great vocal performance. So look at the freq curves, the impedance and spl ratings, distortion and power handling capabilities, but don't forget what you're trying to hear...Surprised no one has mentioned Sennheiser 280, 380, 480s (good stuff).

BrokenH thats very true. The clamping and head seating is blocking out a lot, the construction headphones for safety around loud machinery is a really hard clamping headphone. -30db they claim.rigth?

the ear ringing is the biggest downer for headphones, its really bad compared to a set of monitors.
the biggest other thing I found recording (and often ignore in brian buzz creating mode of jamming) is to play through the monitors to set the tones and everythign while you are recording , do everything direct that you can because thats what the ME do, they are on the other side of the glass listening and making changes based off the Monitors in the other room (not headphone sounds).

its a weird science, it can sound great in the headphones and crap outside....but if you can get the monitors mix sounding good, the headphones usually sound even better. thats my experience anyway.

BrokenH thats very true. The clamping and head seating is blocking out a lot, the construction headphones for safety around loud machinery is a really hard clamping headphone. -30db they claim.rigth?

the ear ringing is the biggest downer for headphones, its really bad compared to a set of monitors.
the biggest other thing I found recording (and often ignore in brian buzz creating mode of jamming) is to play through the monitors to set the tones and everythign while you are recording , do everything direct that you can because thats what the ME do, they are on the other side of the glass listening and making changes based off the Monitors in the other room (not headphone sounds).

its a weird science, it can sound great in the headphones and crap outside....but if you can get the monitors mix sounding good, the headphones usually sound even better. thats my experience anyway.

That is a good way to describe part of the need for monitors while tracking, obviously more involvement in mixing etc...but having the monitor main mix during tracking is critical as well. I don;t mess w EQ compression much of at all during tracking, but certainly monitors would be critical for that, but even getting proper levels or any bit of subtle trouble shooting with mic placement etc... monitors certainly helpful.

For tracking I use Vic Firth isolation headphones. For checking mix on cans I use the Focal Spirits, they have very good sound quality.

Back