For Guitar Players Looking To Get Into Pro Tools...

XploZiveToyz

All American Un-American
Sweetwater has a pretty good deal going on right now. For $648.00 you get the full version of Pro Tools 11, plus you also get the Eleven Rack, the expansion that goes with it, and the I-Lok 2 that's needed for Pro Tools.. Looks like a damn good deal to me as the Eleven Rack can also serve as an interface if you need one. This is $51.00 off of the regular price of just Pro Tools by itself. You're welcome. :guitar:

Overpriced, man. The quality certainly isn't absent, for sure. But it's waaaaay overpriced. What separates this from a cheaper interface and DAW?

I'm a Reaper guy myself, but as I said,"If one is looking to get into PT's this isn't a bad deal". Isn't Cubase and Sonar right around this price range? I don't believe Abelton is for behind. And most of the reviews I read about the Eleven Rack were positive. Actually now that I think about, for an interface, a DAW, and a guitar emulator/processor, $648.00 isn't a bad price at all. Are there cheaper alternatives? Of course, but many people adore PT. Who am I to argue?

Overpriced, man. The quality certainly isn't absent, for sure. But it's waaaaay overpriced. What separates this from a cheaper interface and DAW?

The dollar amount... And the hype. IMO.

Not even sure why the Protools status thing even exists anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a filing for bankruptcy for them in the near future myself. Problem is all of the studios that paid for the shiz. Though, they are not doing so well right now either....

Like I already said,I'm a Reaper guy. You must be looking at something I'm not because a bunch of people use PT. Look at their parent company. I don't see them declaring bankruptcy any time soon, but what I do I know? I'm just a guitar player! LOL!

Like I already said,I'm a Reaper guy. You must be looking at something I'm not because a bunch of people use PT. Look at their parent company. I don't see them declaring bankruptcy any time soon, but what I do I know? I'm just a guitar player! LOL!

Just a dream I had. The world was a better place and I didn't have to hear the 'studio standard' anymore...

LOL!

LOL! I agree with you. I get tired of hearing that shit too! I think the reason is because basically they were first,

Not to mention there is that little thing that PT is best designed for MAC systems. All good if that is where your heart is. :)

I do not feel that any of the top DAW's are any better than another. It is what works for you personally in your setup. Usually the one you start with.

I however started with Protools after using Mackie Digital 8 bus and DA 88's for quite some time. Protools seemed like the answer, but the expense and demand for payment for upgrades to other software/hardware that was linked to AVID killed me. The ability to edit freely with a Mac and save the files was awesome! Until the limitations and cost for upgrades became apparent.

I moved on to my home studio and bought an interface that came with Cubase LE4. What a nightmare!

But, I found the software more compelling to me and have never left (BTW, Cubase is designed to work best with Windows). It just worked for my brain-whatever is left of it after the 80's.

I have tried Reaper a few times and would definitely recommend to others. It just does not work for me, but at least it does not make me want to throw out the word 'hate'.

The funny thing is, Mac is not the exact same in the workstation market. Apple sells their Mac pros much cheaper than a PC computer using parts of the same performance. This is why Apple still dominates the video and design editing/rendering market. I don't know why the hell the same is said for Pro Tools. There's almost nothing that DAW can do that other's can't, and it's MUCH more expensive.

The funny thing is, Mac is not the exact same in the workstation market. Apple sells their Mac pros much cheaper than a PC computer using parts of the same performance. This is why Apple still dominates the video and design editing/rendering market. I don't know why the hell the same is said for Pro Tools. There's almost nothing that DAW can do that other's can't, and it's MUCH more expensive.

Isn't there a saying about the apple not falling far from the tree?

I recently tried Sonar and must say that I liked it. It was one of those free 30 day trials. Got to admit that I was impressed. But I started with Reaper and guess I'll stay with it till they put me in my grave! LOL!

Okay, what makes the Mac Pro expensive is the video cards within them.

Let's take the one on the left: Mac Pro - Buy Mac Pro Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

There are two FirePro D300 cards in there. Those cards are about equal with the FirePro V7900 in this case, about $700 each.

Let's use this PC build as a comparison and why the PC build is still incomplete and worse: Intel Core i7-4930K, ATI FirePro V7900 (2-Way CrossFire), Inwin GRone (Gray) - System Build - PCPartPicker

So we have the two cards in there. Next, let's look at RAM. The Mac Pro has ECC RAM in it while the PC build doesn't. It's irrelevant for most things, but it's worth it for workstation uses.

Finally, the cooling in the Pro is much, much better. In fact, there's no cooling at all in the PC build unless there's a fan in that case, and even then, I think I'd prefer the small trashcan case of a Mac Pro than that bulky PC case. :)

To add onto that, there's support with Apple whereas you're on your own with PC.

Makes sense. I've always heard that the only difference between the Macs and the PC's is the OS's and that the Mac uses more expensive parts.

Try telling a Pro Tools "expert" that you can do the same things he can do with your DAW (of choice) and see the reaction you get! :wtf:

I've gotten really used to using PT 10 by now and I like the interface.

Is there some kind of overlay for a cheaper DAW so I can still pretend that I'm using PT?
Don't want to buy it for my home setup.

I've gotten really used to using PT 10 by now and I like the interface.

Is there some kind of overlay for a cheaper DAW so I can still pretend that I'm using PT?
Don't want to buy it for my home setup.
The answer to your question is Reaper. It does everything that PT does, but at low price of only $60.00 for a one time license fee. You can even get skins that make it look like PT.

Back