Does this equipment exist?

thecolorofdave

Okay, Im not sure if this equipment exists, and if It does would anyone be able to recommend me to an affordable product?

I use the Tascam 688 and the Zoom R24.

The Zoom R24 acts as an interface, it has 8 inputs, and 24 channels...

Right now, if I plug in 8 xlrs into the 8 inputs, I can record all 8 channels at once (say I set up my Tascam 688 to bounch tracks to these 8 channels). The zoom comes with a button that will switch to the next 8 channels (9-16), and a button to switch to the next 8 channels (6-24). However, because there is only 8 inputs, I have to switch XLR cables every time I want to use any channels above 8.

Is there a product that basically has 8 xlr cables running from it (that I could plug in to the Zoom). And then a series of xlr inputs 8 x 8 (16) or (24 even), with a little switch. That I could plug in 24 XLR's into and then just click a switch button that will send whichever first 8 xlrs into to the 8 xlr cables into my interface?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, here is a diagram.

| | | | | | | | <---- XLR cables, that I can connect into my Zooms XLR inputs
I can select which 8 xlrs will be transferred through to the xlr cables that will be connected to my Zoom.

In other words a patchbay with selection switches. It can no doubt be made, but I've never seen a 'standard' one.

The Zoom also allows you to daisy chain two Zooms (two Zooms get you 16 inputs), that might be the 9-16 button to configure the slave inputs.

Thanks for your responses, i looked up some patchbays, its what I had it looking like in my head, but ya without the switches and xlr cables going out not going to do the trick. I was thinking it probably wouldnt be very hard to create my own, might cost some money. So for the time being, Ill have to just unplug and plug in xlrs for different instruments/microphones. The zoom solution is cool, i put out $500 for my r24, not gonna be puttin' out any more money like that for a while... well maybe smb7 ;)

Cheers,

I don't I've seen anything that would route the way you are talking. A patch bay would be closest I think but you would still be moving cables, just not having to unplug mics.

Back