Behringer and the hits keep coming...

What do you think about Behringer products?

• Great quality and value for money!

Votes: 354 41.6%
  • Cheap but sometimes dodgy! I wouldn't buy core equipment from them. Not reliable enough.

Votes: 276 32.5%
  • Awful. Cheapness is no substitute for quality!

Votes: 102 12.0%
  • I dont give a crap, I dont have any.

Votes: 118 13.9%

• Total voters

mari

Someone point me to the complaints forum! I'm so wound up!

Some of you may remember me talking about a problem I was having with one of my Behringer B2031 active monitors? That was about 6 weeks ago. The tweeter wasn't working right. As soon as the speaker would heat up, the tweeter would stop working. I bought it from Thomann in Germany. Thought I was getting a great deal until this happened.

I returned the speaker at a cost of €68 which I wont get back. After emailing them continuously for several weeks they finally got back and said my speaker had to go to Behringer 'coz they couldn't fix it. Fair enough I said, just send it back asap.

So, it came back today, I plugged it in and its even worse than before!! What'll I do now?? I emailed them a really strong email, said I wasnt taking this crap from them any longer but at the end of the day, what can I do?

Have any of you any experience with this sort of thing? I dont know what to do about it. I dont want to have to send it back to Germany again. Its not worth it. A local guy said he'd have a go at fixing it but I'll loose my warranty if I let him.

Thomann have a policy that they'll replace the product if its sent back within 30 days. I was in the US on holiday when the speaker arrived and by the time I got home and set it up, the 30 days were up! I got it back to them in 42 days.

Any help guys???

Mari

mari said:
Any help guys???

I hate to tell you this, but chalk it up to experience and don't buy from them again. I mean both the company that made the product and the dealer you bought from.

Well, I should say this: if the dealer will give you your full money back on the product, then they will have done right by you. Anything less than that is unsatisfactory.

I would recommend trying to get your money back. There are a couple common ways to do this. One, just arrange with them to send the item back and credit your credit card for the amount. Of course, you'd be out all those shipping costs. Two, send the item back and have them give you a store credit to apply toward *whatever you want*, not just the same product over again. It's highly unlikely they will help pay for your shipping, although a really classy dealer would do so.

It's your money, and you have the right to a working product for that money.

Like I said, you may have to chalk this up to experience. Sooner or later all of us that buy gear get burned in one way or another. Best to learn from it and try to avoid making the same mistakes in the future. One lesson I learned was that it's always better to spend a little more money and buy better equipment. Most of the time when I cheaped out and bought bottom feeder budget gear I truly regretted it later. I also found the gear to have a short lifespan and not to be enjoyable to use.

Or, you may wish to send it to a tech to repair the problem. However, by doing that you are just throwing more money away on disfunctional gear that may never be quite right. Better to cut your losses and move on to some better speakers.

Hope some of this helps. Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

Well, I'm new to recording (coming up on a year of when I got my Behringer mixer and mics) and I say it serves me well.

You have been burnt by Thomann my friend.....

After seeing how they have dealt with two of my friends on seperate occassions I would be very loathed to ever buy from them in the future. I've heard so many complaints about these guys. I could go into details, but its not worth it.

1) Never buy from Thomann.

2) Contact your local consumer complaints authority. Thomann should owe you money for the faulty speaker.

3) Never buy from Thomann. They suck.

Experience. Thats all you can put it down to I'm afraid.

Neil

I have a few Behringer items - probably half of my stuff is Behringer. Great bang for the buck, and generally good quality overall. No reliability issues. Can't comment on customer service, as I've never had to pursue it, but I KNOW that if I take it back to the store I bought it from, THEIR customer service is excellent.

Chris

I haven't had a reply from them yet so they must be thinking about the flaming email I sent them! That could be a good thing, we'll see.

Everything else I got from them was perfect. I got some Mackie stuff and MOTU interfaces and I was chuffed that they sent them on so quickly.

The speakers were the only thing I cut back on price-wise. I'd spent so much on everything else I suppose. I'm really sorry I didnt spare up a bit more and got something maybe mid-range.

I'm not gonna write Thomann off just yet (maybe tomorrow evening!) but I dont think I'll be buying from them again anytime soon. I seemed to be under the impression that if I bought something new it would work! Its a hard lesson but it could be worse.

Okay, I'm gonna go before I get all mad again!

Talk to ye soon, thanks!

Mari

Why does this thread keep bobbing to the top when there have been no new posts since the 3rd?

I have no problem with my behringer mixer; in fact I quite like it, but I don't think I would buy something that affects tone or anything very sophisticated from them, like an amp or a condenser mic.

I'm assuming that you're not using the mixer to plug the mic into in order to record it? ;) You're only using it for routing monitoring signals? ;) ;)

The pre-amps you use are among the most important variables that will affect tone in your signal chain. The pres in the UB series are really very good, IMHO.

Chris

Behringer makes the BEST MIXERS of any gear manufacturer are there!

Behringer's line of processors,pre's and dsp/efx units far surpasses the present slop that's out there now!!

Behringer's customer service are 2nd to none!

Behringer uses original designs and incorporates the most advanced electronics in all thier products.

Many Co's have copied Behringer's outstanding craftsmanship.

Behringer can't be beat!

I luv crack-cocaine.

Thomann are giving me a new speaker! Way hey! They're gonna pay the postage too so I suppose its working out okay. At last. Awful hassle though.

When I get it I'm gonna sell the pair and get something better...

I use a Behri mixer, but I don't use its preamps. Works fine for signal routing, and I use the DMP-3 for pres on my mics. For that, I think it is just fine, and saved me a bundle.

I also use the Behri FCB1010 foot controller, which is fucking amazing, but again, it isn't a sound generating device, and is a great midi controller, cheap and surprisingly dead solid.

I recently picked up a UB2442FX-PRO mixer. The pres, so far, have wildly exceeded my expectations. Before, I was using my Peavey TMP-1, which is a tube mic pre, as my "main weapon."

The TMP-1 got pretty decent reviews (roughly a "smaller sibling" of the VMP-2 that a lot of the pros seemed to like when they came out....)

Soon (like, maybe tomorrow....) I'm going to do a "shoot-out" of sorts between the pres on the Peavey and those on the Behringer. I'll post the results for all to hear. I'll post my methodology (It won't be totally scientific, so I'm sure there will be some criticism there....) and some mp3 files. I'm going to go on record now as predicting that the Behringer will beat out the Peavey - hands down.

Granted, I'm comparing a Honda Civic to a Toyota Tercel... I've never used an Avalon, so I don't have the breadth of experiences, as some of us do, in order to make detailed and sophisticated comparisons and evaluations. Either way, I'll conduct a fair test, and the results - one way or the other - will speak for themselves.

Chris

Having had more than one Behringer unit cross my repair bench, I can say this:

Their support is horrible. Getting parts is near impossible and takes forever.

The other problem with them is that, from the retail side, you never know what will be available for order. If an item is backordered, then hang it up for a few months until they get the databases back up to speed.

They are right up there with Alesis for support. Alesis, having shut down in factory service center, uses smaller repair shops to service regions. We had two Quadraverbs and a QS6 waiting on displays. We gave up trying after six months. One customer threatened legal action. We stopped servicing Alesis all together.

Had I not been given a Quadraverb2, it wouldn't be in my rack. I fully expect the right side of the display to go out someday.

We stopped servicing Behringer as well. We would send it back to the factory (well, the regional address anyway). From then, it would normally take about two to three months for it to come back. Rarely fixed and most times worse off than before from being bashed around in shipping due to poor packing.

Honest truth - stay away from Behringer and Alesis. When you need it repaired, you're gonna be without a core piece of equipment for alot longer thna you would like....and time incurs no discounts in price either.

Both companies offer alot of options in their units, but you really do get what you pay for: Bare minimum manufacturing specifications, components with a 10% or higher tolerance, smaller and cheaper capacitors, pot stems that snap easily, and a support department that is apparantly nothing more than a recieve - hold - repack - and ship warehouse without a tech in site.

alien said:
Having had more than one Behringer unit cross my repair bench, I can say this:

Their support is horrible. Getting parts is near impossible and takes forever.

The other problem with them is that, from the retail side, you never know what will be available for order. If an item is backordered, then hang it up for a few months until they get the databases back up to speed.

They are right up there with Alesis for support. Alesis, having shut down in factory service center, uses smaller repair shops to service regions. We had two Quadraverbs and a QS6 waiting on displays. We gave up trying after six months. One customer threatened legal action. We stopped servicing Alesis all together.

Had I not been given a Quadraverb2, it wouldn't be in my rack. I fully expect the right side of the display to go out someday.

We stopped servicing Behringer as well. We would send it back to the factory (well, the regional address anyway). From then, it would normally take about two to three months for it to come back. Rarely fixed and most times worse off than before from being bashed around in shipping due to poor packing.

Honest truth - stay away from Behringer and Alesis. When you need it repaired, you're gonna be without a core piece of equipment for alot longer thna you would like....and time incurs no discounts in price either.

Both companies offer alot of options in their units, but you really do get what you pay for: Bare minimum manufacturing specifications, components with a 10% or higher tolerance, smaller and cheaper capacitors, pot stems that snap easily, and a support department that is apparantly nothing more than a recieve - hold - repack - and ship warehouse without a tech in site.

A-freakin'-MEN brutha'!

Back