Anyone Use A Sonic Maximizer?

Mickster

Does anyone here use a sonic maximizer.......specifically a BBE brand? Just wondering how you use it and what the results are like?

I use one as a structure point in a 16 space rack so it doesn't sway too much. Works absolutely great as a spacer.

I've used the device a couple of times, and I've used the plugin a fair bit. It's a bandaid at best and usually a waste of time. You'll get more out of tracking better.

Hahahahahaha..............got it..........a waste of $$$. Thanks guys.........much appreciated.

There are some ways to use them. I found when transferring old cassettes to CD running them through the BBS helped. We also used them on AVOs when we wanted the music track to stay up in level. It seemed to punch the voice so you could still understand what was being said. If (God forbid) you are using a really old amp and mixer for live club sound, inserting the BBE helps make the pres sound a little better. These are not really fixes but just ways you might find to use the BBE. In today's world of quality software, pres and interfaces, it just isn't needed at all.
Rod Norman
Engineer

So I was going to say something snarky, but then I realized that I don't actually know what a sonic maximizer does.
All I could find in 5 minutes of googling was that... it does something to the phasing of different frequencies to make them sound better on bad speakers?

The premise of that explanation is bullshit. Yes, it does mess with phase, just like almost any other eq. It simultainiously adds 3-6k and dips 200-400 hz.

Back