what do i do?

dragonworks

Banned
14 years ago I think, I had a mac and a alesis qs8. I told the mac I was working with the alesis and I told the QS8 was working with a mac. I bought a cheap midi software package for 99 bucks I think, I forget which one, don't think it was cakewalk, maybe steinberg? anyway, voila, everything found everything else, the QS8 library was right there, etc, and it worked pretty good.
Made some cool stuff.
Now, 2014, I have just replaced my old computer. I was thinking of taking that, 3.2 gig pentium 4, (not dual core) 512k ram upgradeable, 200 gig HD; much more that the old mac, and turning it into a midi work station. I still have the QS8, what else am I going to have to get? What recommendations if any? I am not up on any of the midi software or interfaces etc. I do work with computers every day and kind of know my way around.
Thanx

I forgot to mention, the OS is XP.
I am familiar with how to work with midi, just not up on the software and hardware.
I was looking at new software on another site and so far they don't support XP

eventually I would like to mix audio with the midi. I would maybe want to go with a midi controller and some rack mount synths and play the parts mostly. Edit them, mix them etc. I would like to be able to get into the puter with at least two audio inputs in case I get someone with me.
remember the old adage KISS

Reaper should work on XP.

So should Sonar up to X2.

I would get a MIDI interface like an M-Audio MIDIsport, and I would also get MIDI-OX because it's free and it's pretty handy if you have multiple MIDI devices you want to manage.

would this work for software. I can pick one of these up for under 50.00, sealed.

Attachments

• sony.JPG
    sony.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 57
Yup, Music Creator 6, the older version for XP, is currently on special download offer over at CakeWalk's site.
Wrapped up with other stuff, if you so choose.

A real bargain, and an entry point into Sonar if you later decide upon that.
It's not half bad = pretty good.

Just my 2 cents (or tuppence if you prefer).
Regards,
John.

I bought this instead for forty bucks
Cubase 3.7 DAW • Wavelab 2 • WAVES Renaisance Compressor • Free Filter • VST 2.0
will it work?
I have used cubase in the past and was familiar with it, don't know about now.
Will have to put Win 98 on the puter but that works for me.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back