VSTi for heavy metal guitar

symeboy

Hiya folks,

Ive composed a few tracks in Guitar Pro 5, a MIDI guitar program (its easy for me and other band members to learn), but I'm now starting to produce very rough demos with slightly more realistic sounding instruments in my DAW. Ive got great MIDI drum and bass plugins that sound good but does anyone know where I can get (free) decent sounding VSTi plugins for metal guitar sounds?

They dont have to be amazing, just sound better than the ones in guitar pro. I have amplitube, but I dont know how to set it up to play MIDI....

Thanks in advance!

The answer to this question is: NO!!!

That said, if you have something with standard General Midi sounds, try the clean guitar sounds, or maybe even a Pick Bass sound, and run that through Amplitube. Amplitube doesn't make any sound of its own, just modifies the sounds run through it - supposedly the way a guitar amp would.

Exactly, the answer is a no, especially if you need it to be free.

MIDI virtual instruments (when programmed like a traditional piano/keyboard) will fail to capture the rhythmic character of a true guitar. Ideally, you would want to have the guitar recorded dry as audio for a number of reasons (and run through Amplitube later), with one of the more important being sidestepping a static tempo and timing in favor of a more human, natural rhythm. Also, even among the more expensive libraries, VST guitar models as a whole fail to sound authentic.

That said, I will many times use the free 4front bass plugin on my tracks. It's always worked for my purposes, just have a Google and give it a try. I also know that MusicLab's guitar plugins are said to be rather nice emulations. Though they are expensive, they may be worth a check. Combined with Amplitube, they might be able to do some real damage. For electric guitars, check out Electri6ity-whose demos sound really good. But isn't that always the case...?

Exactly, the answer is a no, especially if you need it to be free.

MIDI virtual instruments (when programmed like a traditional piano/keyboard) will fail to capture the rhythmic character of a true guitar. Ideally, you would want to have the guitar recorded dry as audio for a number of reasons (and run through Amplitube later), with one of the more important being sidestepping a static tempo and timing in favor of a more human, natural rhythm. Also, even among the more expensive libraries, VST guitar models as a whole fail to sound authentic.

That said, I will many times use the free 4front bass plugin on my tracks. It's always worked for my purposes, just have a Google and give it a try. I also know that MusicLab's guitar plugins are said to be rather nice emulations. Though they are expensive, they may be worth a check. Combined with Amplitube, they might be able to do some real damage. For electric guitars, check out Electri6ity-whose demos sound really good. But isn't that always the case...?

I have to disagree with this, but first let me say until a month or so ago, I was in total agreement. That said, making a VSTi guitar sound good takes ALOT of time and patience. Check out Shreddage 2, also the SRP and IBZ versions. I still haven't perfected it, but the guitar sound you can achieve with this is AMAZING, considering its MIDI. Part of the secret to getting it right is exactly what you said here - the sounds the computer plays are completely clean samples. They have an effects section, but its total trash, turn that shit off, then use your Amplitube on the instruments insert track. Email me if you need any pointers.

Also worth checking out is Progressive Metal by 8Dioo, I have no firsthand experience with it, but the demos sound great! Good luck!

If you are using chords with really heavy distortion you might get somewhere feeding Amplitube with sounds other than guitar. Guitar voices are often very thin and concentrate on the acoustic/mechanical qualities of the string. There may be an electric keyboard or bass sound that sounds less terrible through scooped compressed distortion than the so-called guitar sound. It won't sound convincing, but may be less appalling... all the more so if you can edit the envelope of the voice.

Back