Velocity w/ vmpk

adam79

I finally figured out how to use vmpk as a MIDI controller with Pro Tools. I have the velocity knob on vmpk all the way up, but it seems slow to respond, especially when playing an entire drum beat via the keyboard. The "Musical Typing" option in Garageband seems quicker to respond to the keyboard.

Is vmpk the only type of virtual keyboard that you can use as a MIDI controller? or are there others that have quicker velocity?

Thanks.

I think you've misunderstood the term "velocity". It has nothing to do with how long it takes between pressing a key and actually hearing the sound. That would be called latency, and has more to do with whatever device is actually getting the MIDI into the computer (interface driver) than anything else.

MIDI Velocity is a parameter of a Note On message that represents how hard the key was struck. If you think about it, if you hit the key harder, it will necessarily move downward more quickly. I can see where the terminology is confusing, but what else are you going to call it? To call it Volume or Level or something would be at least as weird. :/

I think you've misunderstood the term "velocity". It has nothing to do with how long it takes between pressing a key and actually hearing the sound. That would be called latency, and has more to do with whatever device is actually getting the MIDI into the computer (interface driver) than anything else.

MIDI Velocity is a parameter of a Note On message that represents how hard the key was struck. If you think about it, if you hit the key harder, it will necessarily move downward more quickly. I can see where the terminology is confusing, but what else are you going to call it? To call it Volume or Level or something would be at least as weird. :/

So this is a latency issue on PT's end? or does the VMPK also cause latency? If it's PT, I find it surprising that Garageband has better latency than PT 12.4.

IDK where the latency is coming from. Could be the drivers for the MIDI device. Could be whatever instrument plugin you're triggering. Could be your audio interface. It's probably not PT itself. Of these possibilities, the only one you probably have any control over will be your audio interface's buffer settings. I'm really not the best to help you troubleshoot any of it, though.

IDK where the latency is coming from. Could be the drivers for the MIDI device. Could be whatever instrument plugin you're triggering. Could be your audio interface. It's probably not PT itself. Of these possibilities, the only one you probably have any control over will be your audio interface's buffer settings. I'm really not the best to help you troubleshoot any of it, though.

I bet you're right about the buffer settings. I think I forgot to increase them before the session.. they were low for a previous mix. Thanks.

Back