USB Hub with no midi connections? How do I midi Sync?

P

PaulKarate

I just purchased a Line6 Toneport (a very nice usb port) which came with some recording software, Albeton live 4 lite. My dream has come true, I can now get all the Guitar, bass and vocal tones I've always wanted.

I also have a Korg Triton That I'm going to output into the usb hub.
It has a 16 track sequencer and I plan on using all/most of the tracks.

I know I can record all of them into the USB and get them to my computer but I'm a bit worried about getting them synced up. I know that I might be able to line them up by dragging the tracks around in my software program but I would much rather do it via MIDI.

My question is this:

Since the Line6 Toneport does not have any midi connections what piece of midi hardware do I need so that all my tracks will sync up perfectly.
What is the price range on something like this?
Would this be a internal or external piece?
How am I going to get my computer to be set up for something like this?

I know that the Tascam USB-122 has Midi imputs on it but I specificly chose the Line6 Toneport because of all the guitar, bass, and vocal amps.

Now what, I'm a bit lost.

Thank you in advance

ssscientist said:
Buy one of these and install it on a second USB port. It will add midi to your tone port without any conflicts.

Thank you so much Scientist!

I'l defiantly research that option which seems to be the solution! What a great price too! This seems right up my alley, $40. is great I didn't want to spend anouther few hundred bucks you know!

Tell me If I'm correct here:

1. I plug the midi out of my keyboard to this unit
2. plug the audio out of my keyboard to my USB device

------Here is where I get a bit confused.---------

Now I sync up my audio software with this Midi Port??
Press play&record on the keyboard of the software?

I think I'm almost there.

Thank you so much, your advice really appriciated!!

Here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. There are three more in that same series called, not surprisingly, part three, part four and part five when you're ready for them.

If you want to play and use the sounds of your Triton in your songs you will need to run a cable from the midi out of the interface to the midi in of your Triton. One thing - and this is important - go into the 'global' or 'midi' page and find the 'Local On/Off' and set this to the 'Off' position. This will break the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside, and will give you the equivalent of a controller keyboard and Triton module.

Back