sysex files corrupt?

Adrya

Last week I loaded a .syx file to my Roland R8 and the file appeared to load but when I pressed start on my Roland R8 some garbage appeared on the LCD display and I had to turn the machine off to recover (i also re-initialized the machine for good measure).

Since then I've been unable to load any .syx files that were previously created. I've used known good backup .syx files from other sources (saved to CD rom, floppies, and another computer's harddrive) but no matter what source I use, or what sysex software I use the R8 isn't loading my old data now.

The machine works perfectly otherwise and I confirmed that system exclusive flag is ON, and that receive channel is 10 (according to several years experience and Roland support these are the only settings pertaining to sysex data on the machine).

Here's the rub... I created a test song and bulk-dumped to my computer. Next I cleared the R8's memory and confirmed I had 100% free space in both patern and song memory. Then I loaded my just-saved test.syx file back into the R8 -- and it worked!

I cleared memory again and try one of my pre-R8-crash .syx files - like always data appears to stream to the machine however the songs/patterns are simply not loaded. No errors, no garbage on either R8.

I bought a second R8 on Ebay last month thinking it was my machine but the *second* R8 performs exactly the same as above - I can save/load new files but the old ones (from differing backup sources) do not load at all.

I've tried several different SYSEX utilities (MidiOX, MDT DOS, WinSysEx, ect) - all can save & load newly created songs but I still have problems with my old .syx files (again, I had more than one source of my .syx files - it's practically impossible for all three sources to majically corrupt at the same time when two of them were locked away out of sight for several months).

This makes no sense. I have a *lot* of drum data that I absolutely must recover... Any suggestions or ideas?

One other thing... could something in the R8's os gone awry so that bulk dumps are sent with different info in the sysex (header?).

Could I check just the top so-many lines of a pre-crash sysex file vs. the top so-many lines of a post-crash sysex file? What would I look for?

Thank you so much,
~ Adrya

Problem Solved!!

Problem solved!

Using MIDIOX to view both old and new syx files I discovered that the 3-byte System Exclusive Identifier differed in each file..

New files contained headers like this: F0 41 09 28 12

and old files contained headers like this: F0 41 00 28 12

Using a seperate text editor (actually Homesite 4.0 ;)) I did a search and replace and then pasted the revised data into MIDIOX's sysex scratchpad. Next I sent my revised .syx to the Roland R-8 and presto! It loaded like a charm. :)

So, thank you Jamie for helping me rule out other possible problems, and thank you for MidiOX - I'd been using an old DOS app before but I will switch over to your app from now on.

I'm so happy I fixed this! ;D

Back