Synchronising non-midi device with midi device

Django2014

I have a Tascam dp008 (recorder without midi interface) and a Boss dr-880 (drumcomputer with midi interface).

This works fine for the song sketching that I use this for, but there is one thing that I would like to improve:
Usually, when I start writing a song, I program a very basic drumtrack into the boss dp008, which I then record on the Tascam recorder. After a while, I often want to polish the drum track a bit more. However, the drumtrack is recorded directly to the Tascam, so I have no means to edit it. My only option seems to be then: create an improved drumpattern on the Boss drumcomputer, re-record it and also re-record al guitars and vocals already present on the Tascam. THis is kind of cumbersome.

I would like to somehow activate the Boss (drum computer) pattern from the Tascam. As long as the beginning is right and the tempo the same, I then could program a drum pattern into the Boss and play the new track in sync with the guitar and vocal stuff recorded on the Tascam.

I can recall that I saw somtething like this years ago. A guy had a analog Portastudio and a midi-enabled apple computer. He had a device which - I believe - recorded one track of the portastudio with some midiclock signal which allowed him to keep the the tracks recorded on the apple in sync with the portastudio.

Does anybody know a solution to my problem? Thanks in advance.

Back in the '90s used a Pocket Sync made by Anatek. It worked quite well. You might be lucky to find a second-hand one.

Yeah --- I second the Anatek pocket sync, or some other device that prints audio and converts it to midi clock.

The only problem is that I own one of those Tascam DP008's and the limited number of inputs (2) and outputs (also 2) might be a limitation. But midi is all about working around limitations and I'm sure you'll find a solution that works!

Back