software to read midi events?

Leandrusi

Hello, Is there any soft that can read (and show me) exactly what midi event is triggered from my midi controller´s knobs?
The thing is, Im suspecting all 4 knobs send the same CC ......... ¬¬

What you're probably looking for is called a "MIDI monitor." Most DAWs have a MIDI monitor function available, but there are also standalone utilities available. What operating system are you using? Perhaps the best-known MIDI monitor and MIDI router utility for Windows is MIDI-OX. I'm not familiar with what's available for the Mac or Linux.

EDIT: PS-- What controller do you have? Many controllers let you choose which CC events will be sent from the various knobs, sliders, and other controls, and often have groups of presets that you can choose between. There ought to be some sort of manual that tells you about the controller's features, and possibly a separate guide on how to program it. If there wasn't much documentation included in the box, check the manufacturer's web site.

What you're probably looking for is called a "MIDI monitor." Most DAWs have a MIDI monitor function available, but there are also standalone utilities available. What operating system are you using? Perhaps the best-known MIDI monitor and MIDI router utility for Windows is MIDI-OX. I'm not familiar with what's available for the Mac or Linux.

EDIT: PS-- What controller do you have? Many controllers let you choose which CC events will be sent from the various knobs, sliders, and other controls, and often have groups of presets that you can choose between. There ought to be some sort of manual that tells you about the controller's features, and possibly a separate guide on how to program it. If there wasn't much documentation included in the box, check the manufacturer's web site.

:thumbs up: THANK U VERY MUCH! Im checking midi-ox out and will let you know if it does the job!
Im on win xp, I have a kawai mp6. By default the 4 knobs on my cheap 49keys midi controller control 4 different sound parameters on most sounds in REASON, but with the same sounds, kawai´s all 4 knobs control the same parameter... Manual doesnt say anything about configuring knobs send event... or I cant find it at least...

So, Ill check midiox and tell you.

I'll see if I can find out anything about the Kawai MP6-- I'm downloading the manual now.

Note that when you use a MIDI controller with a DAW, the DAW usually has a MIDI learn feature that lets you map a particular control's messages to a particular VST parameter or DAW action. Your DAW might have a built-in template or whatever for your cheap 49-key controller, but might not have one for the Kawai MP6, so you might just need to use the MIDI learn function to set things up.

Another thing I just thought of is that the knobs or other controls on a keyboard might actually be sending the same CC events as each other, but for different MIDI channels-- i.e., where each MIDI channel is used for a different instrument voice (e.g., the RIGHT1 and RIGHT2 voices if two sounds are layered together, and the LEFT voice if the keyboard is split, etc.). Often when you add a new MIDI track or virtual instrument track in a DAW, the track will be set by default to accept events from all available MIDI inputs and on all MIDI channels, which would mean that a CC event meant for channel 1 will have the same effect in the DAW as the same CC event meant for channel 2, or channel 3, etc. I'm not saying I think that's happening in your case, but I thought I'd mention it in case you ever do run into that sort of situation. I always change the MIDI input options on tracks to select a specific device and a specific channel for each track, unless for some reason I want to combine the events from two or more devices on a particular track.

If I see anything promising in the Kawai's manual, I'll let you know.

EDIT-- Addendum:

I take it you're referring to the four assignable control knobs shown on page 10 of the manual? If so, which assignment(s) are you using-- Effect, EQ, Tone Modify, or Assign? Chances are the CC messages sent by the controls will change depending on which assignments you use, and in that case you should be able to map the same knob to multiple functions in a VST depending on the assignments. Also, some assignments might not send MIDI events at all-- e.g., the EQ assignment probably controls the keyboard's internal EQ and might not output any MIDI events.

See pages 32 and 33 for instructions on how to assign different CC events to the four control knobs.

EDIT #2-- I forgot to say, I happened to notice on the Kawai site that there was a system software update for the MP6:

Kawai Downloads - Download Archive - Page 3

I don't know if your MP6 is up to date, but you might want to check it out just to be sure.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can find out anything about the Kawai MP6-- I'm downloading the manual now.

Note that when you use a MIDI controller with a DAW, the DAW usually has a MIDI learn feature that lets you map a particular control's messages to a particular VST parameter or DAW action. Your DAW might have a built-in template or whatever for your cheap 49-key controller, but might not have one for the Kawai MP6, so you might just need to use the MIDI learn function to set things up.

Another thing I just thought of is that the knobs or other controls on a keyboard might actually be sending the same CC events as each other, but for different MIDI channels-- i.e., where each MIDI channel is used for a different instrument voice (e.g., the RIGHT1 and RIGHT2 voices if two sounds are layered together, and the LEFT voice if the keyboard is split, etc.). Often when you add a new MIDI track or virtual instrument track in a DAW, the track will be set by default to accept events from all available MIDI inputs and on all MIDI channels, which would mean that a CC event meant for channel 1 will have the same effect in the DAW as the same CC event meant for channel 2, or channel 3, etc. I'm not saying I think that's happening in your case, but I thought I'd mention it in case you ever do run into that sort of situation. I always change the MIDI input options on tracks to select a specific device and a specific channel for each track, unless for some reason I want to combine the events from two or more devices on a particular track.

If I see anything promising in the Kawai's manual, I'll let you know.

EDIT-- Addendum:

I take it you're referring to the four assignable control knobs shown on page 10 of the manual? If so, which assignment(s) are you using-- Effect, EQ, Tone Modify, or Assign? Chances are the CC messages sent by the controls will change depending on which assignments you use, and in that case you should be able to map the same knob to multiple functions in a VST depending on the assignments. Also, some assignments might not send MIDI events at all-- e.g., the EQ assignment probably controls the keyboard's internal EQ and might not output any MIDI events.

See pages 32 and 33 for instructions on how to assign different CC events to the four control knobs.

EDIT #2-- I forgot to say, I happened to notice on the Kawai site that there was a system software update for the MP6:

Kawai Downloads - Download Archive - Page 3

I don't know if your MP6 is up to date, but you might want to check it out just to be sure.

SIR, YOU ROCK :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Thanks very much for the info! Apparently, you can indeed get to choose wich cc event is sent by each knob, Im yet to test this (once I get a couple hours free from works and stuff, or in the weekend). It was there in the manual all the time, IDK why I didnt find it before :cursing:

BTW my mp6 OS is up to date, and your commentary about each knob sending same cc data for different midi channels might just be precisely right in the case of mp6 (as well of other midi instruments maybe), just let me check all this with midi ox...

It was there in the manual all the time, IDK why I didnt find it before :cursing:

If you were looking in the printed manual, that might be why you missed it. It's always a good idea to download the PDF version of a manual if one is available, because it's much easier and faster to search through the manual for a particular word or phrase using the PDF "Find" command (CTRL-F)-- unless it's a really old manual and the only PDF versions available are scans of the printed pages, in which case you can't search the text since everything in the PDF file is an image.

Back