Simple Midi Foot controller

limpouras8

Hey there guys.
That's my first post on the site's forum.. Before reading the post... English is not my first language, so forgive me about mistakes in the writting and I am not a midi expert.
I am planning to start a music project designated for live performance and since I ll use a lot of instruments realtime, I d like to be able
to control some function of the daw/plugins i am using with foot. I ve done a bit research and I noticed that the most famous footcontrollers out there are mostly for switching banks/programs and sending a couple cc toggle type messages to turn on off effects on the midi board connected.. I dont want to go for some expensive controllers cause are a bit more complicate from what I want.. Ok So what I need is a simple midi foot controller with a couple of switch relays (and maybe a pedal) that I ll be able to fully edit the cc's channel/number/ and the especially the type (momentary or toggle). It would be nice if it has some different scenes (cc presets) to choose to widen the number of functions I can control. I mean such controllers exist for hand/table use and they are many good cheap even under $100 that do the job. Why not for foot controllers?

Thank you guys :)

What software?

I would also add, foot controllers have to be really well built verses a table top controller. They are stomp boxes. Cheap plastic won't hold up to that for very long.

I think for live controlling, simple won't work. Live loops (record on/off), tempo change, loop changes, drum pattern changes, I just don't see how live this would be simple.

Ok so.. I keep that.. It has to be well build with metal casing etc and so that adds to the price.. Is there a controller you can recommend that does the rest I described,.. I mean to choose (from an editor on board or through pc) what midi msg cc/sysex/pr.chg each switch sends and what type of message (toggle, momentary) etc.?
Thanks for your reply

That's pretty sweet. Kind of what I was thinking and have seen, but this looks much better than what I had seen in the past. For folks using Ableton and want a one or two man band, this would certainly be a move in the right direction.

Keith McMillen offers some very cool controllers, I think most are geared for using AbletonLive and similar programs doing EDM with loops.

Check out their stress-test video. :D

When I first started HR, live EDM was really what I thought I would do and record on the side. Well, both require a lot of time and effort, decided just to record. But, given the tools of today and equipment like this, a one/two man band is very much within reach of almost anyone.

If I were to ever go that route, this manufacturer get's my attention. Plus he is right about Tecate beer, that helps in the persuasion. :thumbs up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKxVDZDxLak&index=37&list=WL

That is exactly what I had In Mind... I just didnt want to mess with soldering and diy stuff (I am not an expert). That costs 30 euros. Has 4 scenes (each scene same buttons can send different msgs) and all fully editable , customizable to whatever midi msg you want. Note, CC, Realtime etc... even adjusting Value Range and curve attack/release time and most importantly(for me) latch or unlatch(momentary) switching. How difficult is that to exist in a foot controller version and not be above 300 euros.? Even something simpler than that I ll be happy.. I just cant find anything on the market. Help out guys...

DM60 . I am planning to use this with ableton(for live)/fl studio(for recording) and other softwares as well...

DM60 . I am planning to use this with ableton(for live)/fl studio(for recording) and other softwares as well...

I kind of thought so and the reason I had asked because there are many controllers that target Ableton. Makes the setup easier.

The DYI looks like it would be an option.

Indeed. And I think I ll give it a shot.. I already have a nanokontrol. I ll buy another one and try to make the conversion..

Back