Setting up VMPK as MIDI Controller in PT on Mac

adam79

I don't have access to a room where I can set my drums up, so I figured I'd take advantage of the free VI Drum programs that came with my copy of Pro Tools 12; I'm on a Mac. I downloaded VMPK, the free software VI keyboard/MIDI Controller. I'm a bit stuck hooking this thing up. I'm running a UA Apollo interface, which doesn't include a MIDI I/O. However, do you 100% need a HW interface with MIDI to do what I'm trying to do? Is there maybe some kind of software substitute? I know on PC they have loopbe1, is there some kind of equivalent to that program for Mac?

Either way, if someone could assist me on setting up this VMPK as my MIDI Controller, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here's a screenshot of how far I've gotten. From here I don't what to do. Thanks.

midi1.png

The guy explaining the process is using Logic. The last step involves going into Logic and setting up the final step the prevents the MIDI controller from overloading the signal (sending it twice, thru two separate drivers). Atleast i think that's what it's doing. I can't figure out how to execute this step in PT, so I'm just getting a loud feedback sound when I hit a key on the VMPK.

Ah, okay. I don't have Pro Tools, so I can't check. Well, I do have Pro Tools First (the free, lite version of PT), but I don't think it lets you do this sort of thing. I'll check and see.

I occasionally use VMPK to pick out the notes of a tune I've got running through my head, so I can jot them down in a notation program. On my laptop, I often get some nasty sounds out of VMPK-- distortion, etc.-- which usually doesn't happen on my desktop PC, presumably due to differences in the sound cards, CPU speeds, etc. I think I was able to get some improvement by fiddling with the settings in VMPK (buffer size, etc.), but it still isn't perfect.

I'd hope that a DAW as expensive as PT would have a virtual piano keyboard or drum pad tool built in, but it appears that isn't the case. I found the following thread which may or may not be of any help to you:

Virtual midi keyboard for pro tools - Avid Pro Audio Community

And there might be other alternatives to VMPK. For instance. free VST host programs often have a built-in virtual piano keyboard.

I'm pretty sure I just figured it out; it's been working perfectly thus far. I was also surprised PT didn't come with any virtual midi controller.. even the copy of Garageband (that came pre-loaded on my Mac has one. And I have/payed for Pro Tools 12!

I'm not aware of another free virtual MIDI Controller, for Mac, other than VMPK. I'm not using vmpk's instrument library, so I can't comment on your sound quality issues. I'm using it to operate virtual instrument plugins that came w/ PT, along with some free ones.

Oh ya, thanks for that link.. it's definitely what sent me down the right path.

Last edited:
Back