separate i/o devices for pro tools

yurtpoh

hey everyone, i just recently built a new computer since my laptop died.. i decided to go all out on this one too, so i could game and record music.. i also changed from OSX to Windows 8...

now my question, is there a way that i can use my M-Audio Fast Track Pro with my PT11 to input MIDI, but use my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card as my processor and output??? though i'll still use my sound card for guitar input, as it has its own "Line In" (its a 1/4" 'Line In,' not one of those 1/8" 'Microphone' inputs).. the M-Audio interface only gets up to 2 channel 48kHz at 24 bits, my sound card goes all the way up to 8 channel 192kHz at 32 bits.. (yes i realize that there really isnt much of a perceivable difference, but since once you lower the quality you cant improve it, i want it as accurate as possible till i have to change it to 44.1kHz 16 bit CD format - im a bit of a perfectionist :D )

if i cannot use my interface with my soundcard, are there ways around this?? could i use a simple MIDI to USB adapter and just run my mobo and sound card instead?? i really hope this soundcard wasnt a waste of money...

low-latency asio on windows is one soundcard driver at a time, unlike osx where you can create aggregate devices.

Get a $40 midi/usb adapter. Midi is a low speed protocol and doesn't care as long as you point it to the right device.
I've used usb keyboards and a midisportusb2x2 for years alongside by Motu audio interface and never had a problem.

low-latency asio on windows is one soundcard driver at a time, unlike osx where you can create aggregate devices.

Get a $40 midi/usb adapter. Midi is a low speed protocol and doesn't care as long as you point it to the right device.
I've used usb keyboards and a midisportusb2x2 for years alongside by Motu audio interface and never had a problem.

awesome, thanks! glad to hear it works

The Fast track pro already IS a USB/MIDI adaptor!
I am pretty sure it will work just as such and the Asus can handle the audio.

I am sure that in Cubase I once set up the M-A2496 as the ASIO audio device but left the Pro as the MIDI interface? Now Cubase is a fussy bast'd DAW (unlike say Samplitude) so if THAT will do it surely the All Powerful PT can?

Dave.

actually i figured something out. i dont even need to buy a separate MIDI to USB adapter because my ALESIS QX25 has a USB output.. i thought it was only for power, but i just plugged it in and played with it. all i need is a printer cable - which, for some reason, i seem to have an abundance of lol. thanks for the help though

Back