Separate AD channels in Reaper

YanKleber

Retired
Hi,

I don't know if this is the best place for start this thread, but here we go.
I am having a very bad time trying to separate Addictive Drums channels (pieces) in Reaper.

What I do:

1) Insert virtual instrument on new track
2) Choose AD so Reaper ask me if I want to create multi-tracks. I say NO, so it creates it in stereo
3) Drag my beats from AD to the new midi track in Reaper
4) Right-click the beat on midi track and choose "Explode midi item by note row (pitch)" so it creates a new subtrack for each drum piece
5) Delete the stereo contents of the parent track

OK, the problem is that I am not managing to go after this point. I can see all the tracks separated (kick, snare, etc) and it plays fine but the individual controls (fader, pan, FX, etc) doesn't make any change. The only individual controls that work are "S" and "M".

What am I doing wrong?

:confused:

On your MIDI track, click the FX button to bring up the FX dialog box. If you right-click the AD VSTi that's added there, there should be a couple of options similar to what you saw when you added the VSTi in the first place. Like "Create multichannel output" and a couple others with specific numbers of channels like "Create 16-channel output" or "create stereo output". That's how I've done it for both EZD and SSD4 in Reaper.

I'm not familiar with AD in particular, but some VSTis come with a few different versions for different output routings. Kontakt is like that, where you have to choose which VSTi to use based on how many outputs you want. See if there's something like "AD (16-out)" or something like that available to add as a VSTi. Maybe that'll give you the option to do something other than a stereo output.

I found the issue and it is not something too much obvious: in the AD plugin screen all the 'Out' buttons (small down arrows at the bottom of each drum piece) have to be lighted on in order to send the signal properly for the separated channels.

:)

Here an easy step-by-step to create an AD template in Reaper:

• Start REAPER
  • Track → Insert virtual instrument on new track
  • VSTi → VSTi: Addictive Drums (XLN Audio) (16 Out) → OK
  • Build Routing Confirmation [YES]
  • Activate ALL the “out” buttons in the plugin (small pointing down arrows at the bottom left of each drum piece)
  • Deactivate ALL the “FX” and “INS” buttons in the plugin (at the top left of each drum piece)
  • Enter in ALL pieces of the drumst (one by one) and deactivate the compressor, EQ, any effect.
  • Close plugin window
  • Delete the tracks “Master” and “Bus”
  • Rename the remaining tracks from “AD Drums Kick” to “Kick”, etc.
  • Rename the very first track to “AD HOST”
  • Track → Insert New Track
  • Drag the new created track to the top of all tracks (it will be the first now)
  • Rename it as “Drums” (it will be the bus/master of the whole drums set)
  • Select ALL tracks BUT the first one (click onto the second track, hold CONTROL+SHIFT and click onto the last track) -- verify if all of hem are selected
  • Click and drag the whole selection into the first track (the tracks should be slightly displaced to the right of the first track)
The next step is optional:​

• Turn the “overhead” and “room” knobs completely to the left on kick, hi-hat, snare and toms (to remove their leak into the cymbals microphones)

• Save the template as “AD_template”
Enjoy!

PS: When useing the template you should build/edit your drum midi sequence into the “AD HOST” track otherwise it won't work properly.

:)

Last edited:
Back